CAN WE 'TEACH' CHARITY TO OTHERS?


 
 Pic.: Ruma Chatterjee
Can we teach charity to others... I mean, how to give?

I don’t think we can... even with best of our words and examples... unless, the one who we try to teach it is sensitive to such things... unless his heart bleeds for the deprived and the underprivileged.

Money is not the only way we can help someone with... There are a hundred other ways - simple, practical, practicable and with-in-our-own-reach ways...

For example, I can do it with what is within my own reach: I can teach some needy students free of fees, or at concessional fees. Or, I can help them with free counseling... I  can help someone in English or Public-speaking or similar skills... I can share with Public my daily Blog Posts... I can pass on my old shoes or clthes to our Society watchmen... I can give my extra umbrella to my maid servant... I can organize old text-books for needy students ... If not more, I can be kind and patient... offer a lift to someone... offer a seat to elderly people in a bus... and so on...

The other day, the rickshaw in which a friend of mine and I were travelling was waiting at the signal. A little slum-girl came to the driver with garlands to sell. Just before getting into the auto, my friend, who was very hungry, had bought a big pack of Lay’s. Inside, as he began to munch, the little girl stretched her hand asking for a few chips. Instinctively, my friend handed to the girl the whole pack, and the green lights came on!

I looked at him with a pleasant surprise: “Buddy, you must not have taken even two pieces from that pack; what about your own hunger?”

Well, I did not ask this to him...

He gave from the heart. And, that was it...

I was, in deed, thinking aloud: “What prompted my friend to give away the whole pack? He could’ve shared a few chips and kept for himself the rest. From where does the urge to give come?”

I think, a deep sense of gratitude in our hearts, for every privilege that we able to enjoy in life, coupled with a deep feeling of empathy, for those who are unable to do so... Yes, I think, the urge to ‘reach out’ comes from there...

Therefore, just as the most charitable and large-hearted people can come from the wealthiest the poorest section of the Society alike, the most miserly and the narrow-hearted, too, can come from the same place...

Giving has nothing to do with the kind of wealth we possess. It has a lot to do with the kind of hearts we do...

As I was writing this, I read an inspiring passage shared by one of my friends, Pushpa Kamath (via Jigna Sheth)”

“I learned to give not because I have plenty,
but I know exactly how it feels to have nothing.”

I, really, do not know from where did this passage originate... But, what difference does it make... Yes, as long as I know from were the urge to ‘give’ originates in my own heart...

GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Anonymous said…
Charity comes form the heart and hence can not be taught. Good post. Pranav Nair
Tina Sharma said…
Keep writing and inspiring sir.
- Tina Sharma

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...