THIS LIFE COULDN'T HAVE BEEN BETTER










Pic.: Aparna Khanolkar Sheth

I have never asked God to give me a long life. But, I have, always, asked Him, and still ask, to give me the ability to live it passionately... with all the ups and downs, highs and lows... with the eyes and heart of a little child – always filled with wonder and awe, always feeling small before His incredible vastness... remaining strikingly aware of my limitations as well as of the power hidden in my soul...

Fifty six years! It is not a short life-span. It is big, it is long. And, yes, I haven’t abused it, haven’t taken it for granted... And, for this, I do feel happy and proud of my own self.

So, today, if I have to go on my knees and thank God for fifty-six reasons, what they would be?

My heart pours out...

1. For giving me those simple, yet amazing, parents.

2. For giving me my four wonderful – yet strikingly different – brothers.

3. For the opportunity to be born in a Christian family... For giving me my most incredible idol – Jesus Christ... Yet, helping me remain absolutely alive to the priceless wisdom of every other faith

4. For making me more spiritual and less religious.... Never ritualistic, leave alone dogmatic or rigid about what I believe in...

5. For the simple, warm and diverse relatives in my life, so many of them, so many...

6. For the warmth and the richness – and the craziness – of all my friends... so simple, so honest, so caring...

7. For every teacher, right from my baby days till now – the one I adored or - in my ignorance – abhorred, the one I feared and the one I worshipped... yes, for every one of them, for making me whatever I am today...

8. For the humble, cash-starved home in which I was born... where, I could learn the value of dreaming, hard-work, hope and faith... Where I could learn what living with constrains means, what ‘the next meal’ really means...

9. For sending me to the local vernacular-medium school... so that I could know how to learn to think, write and speak in English, and above all, why I should not stop learning it once my school and college was over...

10. For sending into my life my idol, Prof. B.S. Raman, to teach me for all three years of my degree college... so that I could sit in his class and constantly dream of becoming like him... a fine, committed and passionate teacher...

11. For the opportunity to come to this great city of ‘Bombay’ – now, Mumbai -  and live with my humble and honest uncle and aunt – for seven-long  years...

12. For those initial  jobless-days in Bombay, when I could wander through the nook and corner of this city, on whose footpath I could pick up ‘Think and Grow Rich’ by Napoleon Hill... which would give me the tools to translate my own dreams...

13. For the train TC for catching me when I traveled without ticket, making me go through the embarrassment that afternoon... and, because of which, I could get up and decide that night, say enough of wandering and thinking...

14. For giving me my shy-as-a-touch-me-not grandpa, whose shyness and philosophical-streak I could inherit... my vivacious and to-the-boot extrovert grandma, whose graceful and confident nature I could long to own, all my  life...

14. For the love of books, where I could find my true resting place... where I could experience what legend called - the flight of an eagle...

15. For the love of poetry... the kind my heart would feel at ease with... straight from the heart, and straight into the hearts...

16. For instilling in me the fondness for good movies and music... where I could feel centered, inspired, transported and even charged...

17. For teaching me the value and power of writing my simple notes in diaries... and, eventually doing the same in my daily blog-posts... and feel stupendously happy about it...

18. For teaching me early in life the lesson: ‘Nothing is a waste is life’...

19. For giving me my quick temper... through which I could be aware of my mortality, my fallibility...

20. For teaching me the value and power of reconciliation... Never ever to harbor ill-will against anyone, for long... Make peace before it is too late...

21. For helping me express all my emotions fully and openly, even though quite often they would make me seem very, very vulnerable...

22. For helping me to remain, always, simple, down-to-earth and approachable...

23. For helping me the secret of making money, yet hiding away from me the secret of hoarding it...

24. For helping me recognize, quite early in life, my hidden talents which I could discover and encash fully... Place them on a high-stand and allow them to shine, give light to the world...

25. For enabling me to impact lives – plenty and plenty of them, each day... just by doing the work I am blessed to do best...

26.For the wonderful gift of seeing the beauty of wayside flowers and capture it in my daily writings...

27. For the amazing ability to weave stories out of ordinary events in my life...

28. For keeping me an eternal idealist...

29. For keeping me a kid-like dreamer...

30. For keeping me a never-say-die romantic at heart...

31. For storing loads of sensitivity in my heart...

32. For making me a peace-maker...

33. For making me an excellent organizer...

34. For teaching me, early, the value and power of initiative, the quality of going the extra-mile, working more than what I am paid for...

35. For helping me become aware of my fears, insecurities, envy, and anger, through which I could learn to be compassionate and tolerant...

36. For showing me, time and again, the ugliness of my ego, so that I could quickly get off the tiger’s back before it is too late...

37. For the ability to survive with little...

38. For teaching me, to a great extent, the truth: no matter how good you are, some people will, always, criticize you... which means, you should never stop being good...

39. For reminding me, again and again and again, that I may be an important person in this world... but, the world can, and will, function – very, very smoothly – without me...

40. For the awareness that what work I do, so many around me do... But, I can still do it in  my own special way...

41. For the awareness that there is always scope for creativity... it is endless, infinite... and, abundantly available...

42. For the great truth that everything man creates comes from the ‘thin air’... and, it is forever available to each and every earnest soul on this planet...

43. For the old truth that time and tide wait for none...

44. For teaching me the priceless lesson in life: You can not be grateful and unhappy at the same time... That, ‘Thank-you’ is the most sincere prayer you can ever say...

45. For another powerful lesson: If you have patience, a lot can be done in life...

46. For giving me a sound mind and able body... I couldn't have asked for better...

47. For teaching me not to judge others too much; and whenever I do, to retreat immediately...

48. For teaching me, again and again, that I can not make anyone in this world happy in spite of whatever I try to do for them. One has to learn to be happy...

49. For teaching me to be more proactive and less reactive in life... Blame less, take charge more...

50. For helping me see the good in others, operate from there... and be blind to their flaws...

51. For reminding me, again and again, that I should seek help from others... Life is inter-dependent... and, if I am earnest, there is, always help, around...

52. For helping me to be a good a team-player and, then, a good team-leader...

Finally, I have kept these four reasons last, consciously... Because, they are so important to me... that I want them to live in my mind, and in your mind, forever...

53. For thousands of my students, who are my constant source of inspiration, who keep me forever young and kicking... who have helped me to found THE DAWN CLUB... who give me the constant hope to live for...

54. For my wonderful son, who has helped me understand what Kahlil Gibran famously said: “Your children are not your children... They are Life longing for itself...” For teaching me what ‘Being your own man’ really means... A mighty blessing...

55. For my amazing wife, my constant companion... for helping me practice what I preach, for reminding me the age-old truth – ‘Charity, always, begins at home’... For keeping me firmly planted on the ground... For sending me back, constantly, to the nursery of Love-school and brush up the very basics.... Very, very honestly so... A great force in my life...

56. For the first and the last reminder in life: Life is, really, really, short... Live it to the fullest, without regrets, without guilt, without animosity, without blame, without carrying excessive baggage... Love now, forgive now, dream now, embrace now, thank now... and celebrate now... be at peace now...

Thank-you Lord, thank-you all...

I am saying ‘YES’...

This Life couldn't have been better... I really mean it.


GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thank you dear.Truly a Life Well Lived! Love, Anima
Anonymous said…
Supern, heart-melting. Longlive.- John
Anonymous said…
Supern, heart-melting. Longlive.- John
Anonymous said…
Supern, heart-melting. Longlive.- John

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...