THE RABBIT'S EARS







Pic.: Anima D'Cunha

Early this morning, I was talking on phone to my friend Mr. Manjeet. My wife was still fast asleep. When I hung up, I heard my wife asking from her sleep, “Who was that?”

“Cha Fra D’Costa,” I replied, without even waiting for my next breath.

“Who?” my wife opened her eyes, almost thunder-struck.

“Our Toast Master, darling,” I explained, “Remember what he had received his ‘Sahitya Academy Award’ for?”

Well, what made my dear wife ask, “Who was it?”, in her sleep and what made me remember the Late-charismatic-Konkani-Poet Charles Francis D’Costa (fondly hailed as Cha Fra), yes, will, always, remain shrouded in mystery...

Let the mystery be. Mystery, magic and madness make life what it is – a thrilling roller- coaster-ride!

The Late Mr. C. F. D’Costa was a towering figure in Konkani literature... His plays, poems and writings evoked fire and passion alike in his readers’ souls. Besides, he was a terrific orator... and a wicked streak of wit ran through his veins.  My wife and I were really fortunate to have him raise our wedding toast, back in Mangalore, in 1991. Two years before that, in 1989, he had received the coveted award for his contribution to Konkani literature. And, it had come to him through his collection of work – ‘Sonsache Kaan’. Translated from our Konkani – ‘Rabbit’s Ears’!

Incidentally, in 1989, I had started THE DAWN CLUB. Though I haven’t received any award (leave alone ‘Sahitaya Academy) for my work – be it in literature or whatever – for all these years, I am happy and proud that the great recipient, Cha Fra sir, was there to raise his amazing toast for us...

So, this morning, I reminded my dear wife, “Darling, you really possess those Rabbit’s Ears!”

Pun unintended, I really pray to God, as the great poet would:

“Oh God, please give me loads of loyalty of our faithful dog... those tiny eyes of the giant elephant and, above all, those big, big ears of  the little rabbit...”

Amen.

GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Anonymous said…
Gerry, as always, enjoyed the Post.
- Bharat Sharma
Nayana D said…
Warm!!!
Unknown said…
As always...beautifully put together Sir..You always come up with amazing
ways to impart something :)

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...