THE FROG MUSIC





Pic.: Arvind Salunke
If we can compare this world to a pond and ourselves – all human beings – to frogs living in it, then there are only two ways we can live in this pond...
As a small frog living in a big pond, or
As a big frog living in a small pond.
There is no third way, for sure.
During the recent Wimbledon, Russian tennis-star Maria Sharapova’s statement, “Who is Sachin Tendulkar?” had created quite a stir amongst the cricket fans, especially Sachin fans like me. “How arrogant she can be?” some of us had reacted...
A media person had drawn her attention to the presence of Devid Beckham and Sachin Tendulkar at the court... But, Sharapova knew who Beckham was, but not Tendulkar!
Arrogant?
Sachin completely disagreed and came to Sharapova’s defence, by saying, “It is quite possible, because she may not be following cricket.”
I have no clue about the best base-ball, rugby or even basket-ball and foot-ball clubs in the world. A young kid may know a lot about them; but, I am clueless...
Talk about the cars, cruise and airliners, I am left to guess...
Talk about the latest fashion trend, I am just not interested...
Talk about the books, music and movies, my eyes might glow...
I might be close to thrice my son’s age and might know a thousand more things better than he does... But, then, I must be the most arrogant creature on this earth if I do not admit that he knows a thousand other things better than I do...
No matter how big Amitabh Bachchan for all of us, here, is... but, standing next to Tom Cruise or Jack Nicolson, our superstar might look pale...
And, the same thing has to happen to Tom Cruise and Jack Nicolson when they stand next to, probably, President Obama or Pope Francis...
I am just airing my strong feelings...
Who knows how the President of the ‘greatest’ nation and the Pontiff of the largest religion on earth might appear when they stand next to someone like Mother Teresa or Nelson Mandela!
Yes, I am just wondering!
I heard Oprah Winfrey saying once, “Your fame only means many people have heard about you.”
Now, how many is this ‘many’?
Not even a year or two earlier, Justin Bieber was the darling of every one, featured in the world-record books for highest hits and all that... That was his time... Just as Michael Jackson and Mohammed Ali had theirs... Just as Rajesh Khanna and L.K. Advani had here...
But, then, I felt really bad for the way things went for all of them...
And, who am I to claim that  I am ‘famous’?
And, what good is that fame for?
Nobody talks, today, about the once-mighty Roman Empire... Nobody cares for the Egyptian or our own Mughal. Yes, the Sun did set on the British Empire, too...
And, the Sun will set on each and every empire here – of whatever kind, of whatever power and fame... The Sun has to set, the curtain has to fall!
So, today, when it is raining so heavily outside, the relentless and unique frog-music, which used to be  played from our village ponds, came alive in my heart... and brought along these two interesting questions:
“Hey, am I a small frog in a big pond?” or
“Am I a big frog in a small pond?”
A half-a-dozen college kids, who I call my students, are standing next to me!!!!

GEREALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Virel gupta said…
Nicely conveyed sir. Virel Gupta
Anonymous said…
Inspiring!
.. Deepa
Unnati Narryani said…
Well-written.. Unnati Narryani

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...