AUTOWALA, ELSTINA AND I















Pic.: Amrita Jeurkar


“A rag-picker’s son will, always, remain a rag-picker,
as long as he has in his mind the image of a rag-picker.”

- Source unknown
I was on my way to workplace, last morning. A little distance later, I saw Elstina, our dear friends’ daughter, trying to get an auto. I immediately asked my auto driver to stop and called out Elstina. She was relieved as she was late, and as her both hands were full with a nicely folded blazer and files.

“Thank-you so much uncle,” Elstina said as she settled next to me, “I was getting really anxious.”

Elstina, who is doing her MCA, had a very important presentation to make yesterday. I wished her well, and also, made her feel great saying that she would be placed in a fantastic company once she completed her studies. I suggested that she should explore avenues overseas too, both for studies as well as job. During our discussion, I did mention to her about my son’s campus placement and she was delighted to hear about it.

“Elstina, today, you guys are living in a different world, unlike we, at your age, did,” I said, “There are great opportunities and they pay you handsome salaries… All that you need to do is: be very good in your subject and be very good in pitching yourself in the job market.” Then, a short pause alter, I added, “Maybe, a little bit of God’s grace, too!”

“True uncle,” Elstina agreed…

Just before alighting, I heard the auto-driver saying, “Sir, is there a way you can help me get a good job?”

Now, both Elstina an I, looked at each other. “Why does he say so?” this was what we were thinking, “What kind of job this young rickshaw driver is hoping to get?”

“Kya kiya hai aapne?” I asked him to know about his qualification.

B.A. kiya hai sir maine,” he told me…

Though, for a moment, I felt bad for him, I wasn’t shocked to know his truth. Thousands of young graduates, particularly from remote places of UP, Bihar etc., end up doing odd jobs like this rickshawala…

There was hardly any time, for Elstina and me, to stay back and try to help him in any practical way. All that I could bring myself to do was, to press his shoulder caringly and say, “ Aap jawan ho; aur koshish  keejiye… Aapka koshish aur Ishwar ka ashirwad, do no chahiye.”

“Ji sir, thank-you,” all of us bid good-bye to each other….

Autowala, Elstina and I…

* Name changed

GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Nivas Reema said…
Fact of life, touching..... Nivas Reema
Anonymous said…
Great post!
- Supriya Patni
Jignesh Shah said…
very sincere and motivating post. Thank you sir. Jignesh Shah

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...