HOLD THE UMBRELLA... JUST FOR A FEW STEPS








Pic.: Aparna Khanolkar Sheth


Fifty-five-year-old Prakash was working as a mali in this Society, where I have my classes. Being a very honest and committed worker, he was liked and helped by most of our members. He would begin his day early, before 6, by washing many cars and two-wheelers; during the lunch-hours, he would wash the clothes of a bed-ridden patient... and, after the duty-hours, he would, also, do some additional errands for some of our members... and, this way, he was able to educate two daughters and one son. All his children have just been employed, here and there.

Some months ago, Prakash was returning from his native place, where he had gone to visit his elderly mother. Just a few kilometers from his house, here in Mumbai, the vehicle he was coming by rammed into a truck and Prakash was taken to the hospital in an unconscious state, where he remained in ICU for weeks. On hearing about her son’s accident, back in village, his mother died in a shock!

Today, Prakash had come to visit me. He looked weak and broken in spirit. When he came to see me, I was very busy... But, then, I left everything aside and spent some thirty minutes listening to him... Yes, just listening to him...

Prakash was not here seeking any help... He hadn’t done that before while working here for so many years... and, he did not ask any favors, today, even!

I could not carry Prakash’s burden... All that I could do was help him feel a little less- burdened by listening to him with empathy...

An hour earlier, a very affectionate lady, who lived here in this building was  being  carried, in a chair, by her elderly husband, son-in-law and one of the Society watchmen , for chemotherapy. Her family is one of the most wonderful families I have been living here with for close to thirty years. And, the lady, who retired as a teacher, was one of the sweetest persons I have ever interacted here with. But, then, I can’t ask God: “Why do bad things happen to good people?”

There is no answer to it!

For last few weeks, continuously, this wonderful woman, who now looks pale and worn, is being taken to the hospital in this way... But, there is no complaint from her husband, son, daughter, son-in-law or daughter-in-law. What I see is only a quiet dignity, acceptance and courage...

It is inspiring!

This morning, as I came out of my class, I saw the woman was being taken in her chair... It was pouring heavily... and, the son-in-law, who, being coverless, was getting drenched.... I immediately picked my umbrella, held it over his head, and accompanied them till the waiting car... The journey was barely of few steps!

But, then, I felt how the woman had felt when she had given a white, clean piece of cloth to Jesus on the way to the Calvary... The legend has it that, when Jesus wiped his face with that cloth, He had left the imprints of His face on it!

Well, today, when I listened to Prakash and held the umbrella, for a few steps, on a lady’s way to the hospital, I, could see the imprints of Jesus’s face ...

Yes, I could ...

I know, in life, we cannot carry others’ crosses... But, then, we can, certainly, offer a kind ear... or hold an umbrella for a few steps... just as the kind woman did by offering a piece of white, clean cloth to Jesus on His way to Calvary...

Can’t we?

GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Sharon Pinto said…
Very touching psot. Keep writing. Sharon Pinto
Anonymous said…
Hope, compassion and inspiration!
- Rini S

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...