EVERY TOMORROW HAS TWO HANDLES...















Pic.: Nishtha Narryani



“Every tomorrow has two handles...
We can take hold of it with the handle of anxiety or the handle of faith.”
Two days ago, I received a call from Rama* . I had taught her, some thirty-two years ago, when she was a twelfth-standard student. I hadn’t met her or heard about her ever since.

The call Rama gave me was relating to her young daughter, Prachi*. Rama sounded very concerned about her young-one. “Sir, my daughter is a very creative and brave girl. But, when it comes social skills and interview-facing skills, she has a big problem,” the mother said, “and this fear and hurt of being rejected has affected her a lot and she seems depressed.”

A teacher and some parents had suggested my name to Rama.  And, when Rama learnt about it, she was keen to meet me to discuss the issue.

Last morning, Rama had brought her young daughter to my office.

Prachi, who had just concluded her BMM course from the prestigious St. Xavier’s College in Mumbai, told me that though she had enjoyed her course, she was never passionate about it. She spoke to me, at length, about her school and college days, her deep dislike for the way some teachers taught, assessed and labeled her, her resistance against the conventional pressure from parents or peers... And, as she was telling me her story, Prachi came about to me as a very articulate and clear-headed young-lady. The choice of the words was impeccable; the tone and manner was extremely honest and graceful.

“Prachi, if you have to tell me, without even blinking, what is the one thing that excites you the most,” I asked the young-lady, “which, when you do, makes you feel absolutely happy, fulfilled and confident?”

“Travelling on my motor bike to all sorts of places,” Prachi did not blink when she said this. “Sir, I have just returned from a month-long adventure on my motor bike to Leh- Ladak region. I went with a fifteen-member group of bikers; two girls and the rest all young boys!”

“And, what was the experience like?” I asked Prachi, unable to believe that the same girl had been brought to me for fixing her self-confidence and zest in life!

“Out-of-the-world experience, sir!” Prachi beamed, “I can not still get over it.”

“So, where is the question of fear, rejection, poor social-skills and so on?”  I pointed to Prachi, “I do not have even one percent of the courage, skill and the confidence you have shown, beta, in that field. You are a brave girl. You are the happiest and the most confident doing that; aren’t you?”

“Yes, I am,” Prachi agreed.

“Therefore, beta, just focus on what you love to do in life; put all your faith in it, love, and passion in it... and do it,” I advised the young-girl, “that would take care of the rest of your worries.”

During our discussion, Prachi told me about a short course in Tour Organizing which is conducted by the world-leader in Travel and Tourism, Thomas Cook. Prachi told me that she herself had found about it through Net and her parents had promised to support her in it.

“Are you excited about it, Prachi?” I asked.

“Yes sir, I am,” Prachi replied emphatically.

“Why?” I probed.

“Because, I can see myself going around the world,” was the quick answer.

“Doing that, can you see yourself happy and confident in life?” I further probed.

“Oh yes!”

“Do you want me to teach you, dear, how to face an interview or how to mix with different kinds of people in the world?” I teased.

My young-girl giggled!

“So much for the so-called depression!”  I smiled in my heart, as I gently guided Prachi to the door...

* The names changed 


GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Deepak rao said…
Inspiring and reassuring post. Thanks. Deepak Rao
Tarun S. said…
Very true; when our goals are clear, and resolve is strong, fear dissolves...

Tarun S.

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...