THE STORY OF OUR DADS AND MOMS










Pic.: Usha Prasad



Two days ago, at 7 in the evening, a lady called-up. I knew this lady as her 11-year-old only-son had attended our summer PD-programme. Moreover, her husband was my student, some twenty years ago.

“Sir, I need your help; I am really upset,” the lady said with her voice cracking, “Sir, can I see you right now?”

I had left for the day and, almost, reached home. So, I asked her, “Ma’am, can I know what is that weighing you down?”

“Sir, it is about our son,” the lady said, “He has, once again, starting behaving in a weird manner at home and in school. I have been getting complaints from the school regularly these days about his behavior. Now, the Principal has asked me to see her tomorrow. I am really scared!”

The boy did have this problem earlier. After our PD-programme and many personal counseling sessions, he had dropped his unacceptable behavior to a great extent. Things seemed to be normal and parents were relieved… But, now, all of a sudden, the old pattern had returned to haunt them… The boy was behaving weirdly in school and at home…

The school was one of the best schools around. And, parents had given their best to their only child… “Where did we go wrong, sir?” the young mother was asking me, her heart burdened, when she had come with her husband, last evening, to discuss the issue, “We are willing to do whatever it takes to help our child.”

We spoke at length. The boy was very receptive and seemed to understand whatever needed to be done from his end. Importantly, I could sense a very important thing: he could understand how stressed his parents were because of his behavior… 

Our job was to help the kid to realize what was not acceptable without making him feel guilty, defensive or angry. In one hour, we discussed many things and the kid, who is very fond of me, promised to come to me for a few more sessions – just to be with me!

Which means, to shed off the weirdness in him!


In the morning, yesterday, Nisha*, a US-based friend of mine – and a doting mother of two teens – had shared with me a link. I am glad I took the time to read this...I think you will like to read this too," she had written.


‘The Most powerful Thing You Can Say to Another Mom,” was a Post written by Ms. Denise Stirk, a young mother and a writer. It was so touching, that I had difficulty holding back my own tears… “Moms are like that,” I was telling in my heart, “no matter which part of the world they live, and which kind of children they bear… and raise!”

My mom, wife, grand-moms, aunts… yes, one by one, all of them came before me… How my mom, at 80, dealt with me, her son who is 57… How my wife, at 48, dealt with our son, who is 22… Yes, moms don’t change; they don’t age… I was telling this, my lungs choked!

I, immediately, wrote to Nisha, saying, how moved I was and I would be, soon, sharing the Post with my readers with my own introduction…


Then, late at night, just before I was to retire, I chanced upon a video shared by my friend from Mumbai, Avinash. He had written, “Beautiful… So well-made!” Avinash, being a creative guy, would never share any stuff unless it had substance to move. So, though it was quite late in the night, I decided to watch it…

And, yes, I was left a lot touched, too!

By sheer co-incidence, this video happened to be about dads… and was titled: ‘My Dad’s Story’!

Now, need I say, whose images came before me?

“Really beautiful! Thanks Avi for sharing it,” I commented… To Avinash’s reply, I responded with this:

“The floodgates open when you hear the l’le one saying for the first time – ‘But, my dad lies!”

I could sleep with peace!






*Name changed

GERLAD D’CUNHA

Video: YouTube


Comments

Mitun Parmar said…
Touched by both the stories. Nicley- written.

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...