"OF COURSE, I WANT TO GO TO HEAVEN... BUT, NOT NOW!"









Pic.: Chandrashekar Varier



‘Everybody wants to go to heaven…

but, nobody wants to die!”

When I did not see Varun* in my class today, I called him up. He didn’t pick up my call. In a few minutes, I saw the message: “Sorry sir, I failed to inform you… I am out of station.”

I, immediately, forwarded Varun’s message to his mom… I was sure, there was more to it.

Varun’s mom called me back and spoke to me for more than fifteen minutes… Yes, about her frustrations… How she was unable to make him see the point… How he got influenced by his friends more than his parents… How disorganized he was… How his priorities were all wrong… How shallow was the motivation… How clueless was he about his goal… and, yes, how insensitive he was towards his parents’ struggle and sacrifice… Yes, as a mother of  rebellious teenager, she was bleeding…

And, on this side of Varun’s world, I, his teacher, too, was bleeding… I struggled with the similar issues… Wondered why young students like Varun did not see the point… Why they got more influenced by their friends than me… Why their motivation was so low… Why they were so clueless about their goals… and, yes, why they were so insensitive towards their teachers’ pain and struggle!

But, then, in the end, it only leaves me smiling… Every parent and every teacher was, once, a teenager like Varun… and, I know how it was for their parents and teachers....

What parents like Varun’s mom and his teachers like me promise him is a distant future… A heaven of hereafter. What Varun – and all other Varuns – are interested in is the present happiness… a heaven of here and now!


Once, a parish priest of a church started getting frequent complaints, that many of his parish members spent lots of time and money in the country liquor-joint. So, one night, the angry priest stormed into the bar and was shocked to see so many of his faithful there, all blown!

“You shameless sinners,” the priest blasted out, “get out of this hell… right now!”

Terrified, every one of them obeyed the command of their priest.

“Now, listen to me carefully,” the priest announced, “Those of you who want to go to heaven, line up on my side.”

Every one of them threw himself on the holy-spot… but not our Johnny!

“And you, Johnny,” father asked in surprise, “You think, you don’t’want to go to heaven?”

“Of course father, I want to,” clarified Johnny, unable to hold himself firmly on the ground, “But, NOT NOW!”


It seems, everyone – including the priest - went to hell… except Johnny-the-Great!


Don’t tell me, right now, as I write this piece, Varun’s mom and his teacher are blissful here in this heaven… and Varun and his four friends are suffering in hell…

Yes, in that lovely farmhouse swimming-pool!

*Name Changed


GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Bharat Rane said…
Made me smile, in deed!
Meena Kumar said…
Beautifully conveyed message!

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...