A SIMPLE LOVE STORY... BRILLIANTLY TOLD








On this Monday (9th May), my wife and I wanted to watch the late night show of Marathi movie, ‘Sairat’. But, we didn’t get tickets and ended up watching ‘Captain America’. Both movies got over around 12. Out, we bumped into my brother Vivek and his wife, Sonu, who had watched ‘Sairat’. Sonu, being a Maharashtrian, is very fond of Marathi films, plays and music….

“How did you like ‘Sairat’?” I asked Vivek and Sonu.

The response left me and my wife a lot puzzled… In fact, the response was almost not there!

Anyway, they went their way and we came ours… It was past midnight.

My wife and I were desperate to watch ‘Sairat’. So, we tried our luck, once again, on Wed (11th May) for the 7.10 show. It was fully sold out! Finally, we got tickets for 9.05 show. By the time we went in, it was packed to the brim!

Old, young, kids… all. Couples, families and group of young boys… yes, predominantly Maharashtrians…

By the time the movie started, I realized the glory of watching a great Marathi film… I had not witnessed this kind of involvement as I had not watched too many Marathi films… Here were young men screaming, whistling, jumping, dancing… It was gung-ho blazing on all cylinders…

We loved it...

‘Sairat’ is a great film. A film with a soul… told brilliantly well. A simple romantic story told on screen through simple actors – no star power, no excess… no going over-the-top… Music and songs are mesmerizing, the cinematography and editing, top class… and that picturization of songs – particularly ‘Yad Laglag’… and the way the movie ends…. My God, something I have never seen before… It makes me want to watch it again and again…

While coming back home, my wife and I realized why the response of my brother and sister-in-law, two nights earlier, had left us puzzled… Like them, we both were left numb after watching the end... Like them, the spell had left us speechless, too!

And, that’s why, I consider, this movie to be one of the greatest movies in the history of any cinema…

A simple love story, told brilliantly well… with a heart, with a soul…


Incidentally, 11 th May was the day of our 25th wedding anniversary… Like all other couples, who feel blessed to have survived twenty-five years of married life, we too, had been feeling blessed, grateful, humbled, ecstatic, top-of-the world for some time, now… and, like everyone else, we, too, had felt, often, the urge to go on the mountain-top to announce it…

But, then, as the day began to come closer, my wife and I chose to make no big deal about it… After all, she and I alone knew how it was all like… and, we alone know how it all will be like. So, instead of going on the mountain-top, we both decided to spend some quiet time together in the valleys of our hearts…  and, tell it all there – how fortunate we are… how blessed…  how grateful… how happy and ecstatic… yes, tell all this in whispers into each other’s hearts… rather than…

And, yes, we watched a very romantic movie, that night and loved it… And, even though we were numbed to the core in the end, our hearts kept singing…

Yad laglag, yad laglag re
Rangla tujhyat yad laglag re

I have gone crazy about you dear… I have gone crazy about you dear
I am colored with you, have gone crazy about you dear…



It has been a simple love story, you see… After twenty-five years, the need is even stronger, today, to make that promise… “In my good times and in my bad times….”

We alone know what it takes to complete that promise… and remain true to it.

Thank you Lord.

GERALD D’CUNHA


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...