KUSHAL MANGAL










Some years ago, I remember reading a news report… It was a function held for hundreds of young students in New Delhi. The speakers included some well-known scientists of our country. Abhishek Bachchan, too, was a guest of honour. (I do not remember what function it was… But, it was for igniting scientific spark in young minds). What I remember reading about this event was this… One of the top scientists, when asked about how he felt after the event, said, his tongue firmly tucked in his cheeks: “I don’t remember young boys and girls turning their heads when any of us entered the auditorium. But, when Abhishek Bachcahn came in, the roof almost came down!”


Well, these may not be the exact words of the top scientist. But, this was his and his colleagues’ exact feelings!


Last evening, when my wife and I came out of the cinema hall, after watching ‘Mission Mangal’, I wondered, if the real scientists (most of them middle-aged women) dressed, talked, walked, behaved etc. like the ones we saw on screen – Akshay Kumar and Vidya Balan, Sonakshi Sinha, Taapsi Pannu, Kirti Kulhari, Nithya Menen, Sharman Joshi and others!










The cinema hall was packed… I was surprised to see platoons of children (who seemed to be in the age range of 10 to 13). Some parents had brought their very little kids, too… And, there were rest of us, you know.


I remembered visiting Nehru Planetarium, taking our son when he was a little boy. So, here were scores of school kids making a big ruckus along their Mangal mission!


Frankly, kids were spoiling our mangal experience. We heard a couple of irritated voices: “Slence please”… “Shanti se baito”… “Don’t spoil our show”… “Go out if you can’t watch quietly”. But, then, kids (not babies!) being kids, they did not heed. In addition, a little baby began to cry so loudly… that a middle-aged man decided to end it once and for all… “Why can’t you people let us watch the show peacefully? Why can’t you leave?” he stood up and blasted.


That was the booster doze that sent missiles all around in the dark auditorium… Abuses galore! I heard my wife pleading, “Quiet please”… I tightly held her hand to convey: “Leave them alone, darling!”


We saw, in the darkness, the middle-aged man leaving the cinema hall. In next couple of minutes, he returned with at least five security guards and their supervisor or manager… They stood on the sides and studied the situation… For a moment the lights were switched on… They were put off, quickly… By now, the peace had come upon the Mars... Nobody dared to even whisper after that!


Did we enjoy the movie?


Yes, we did. The spice-girls and kilos of Bollywood masala made the movie experience worthwhile. Above all, the multiplex had charged for two of us only 200 INR (100 each) to-and-fro this Mangal Mission. So, paisa full vasool… No complaints.








But, I still wonder: What must be the reaction of the real scientists after watching the reel ones! What if they had really acted in it – Would they have said what that top scientist had said in New Delhi when he and his colleagues had watched Abhishek Bachchan walk in?


I, also, told my wife, in the darkness, last evening, when the kids were creating ruckus one of the favourite sayings my grandfather used to use when we kids created ruckus at our village home: “Joklen kauntinade ennan kaumpade!”


Didn’t understand?


Let me translate from our local Tulu. It means, “Don’t bury me where children are buried!”


Apparently, that was the last wish (Will) of a wealthy merchant in the town…


Back in those days, we did not understand what the merchant had in his mind when he wrote his will. My take, years later, was that he had enough of the ruckus from children when he was alive and, so, he wanted to rest really in peace in the graveyard!


But, just a while ago, while I needed some help to translate the saying from Tulu, my college buddy, Joe, who lives in our hometown, gave his take: “Children are pure, and their place in Heaven is reserved. But, this wealthy merchant knew how he had amassed his wealth, and felt unworthy!”


Whatever, whatever!


I love children and I loved my grandfather. And, yes, I love our nation and I love our scientists, too… I am proud of them!


Kushal Mangal, to all!



GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: 1. Mashable India 2.  Free Press Journal 2. India Today

Video: FoxStarHindi


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...