STAYING ALIVE, STAYING RELEVANT



"My life isn’t over, and I’m not going to 
sit in a rocking chair and take money 
from the government.”

Colonel Harland Sanders, founder of KFC

I will complete 62 this July. If I was a government employee, I would have been a ‘retired’ old-man, living on his monthly pension, by now. But, being a self-employed fellow, I know, that my pension will come only if I - what that famous line says – ‘get up, dress up and show up, each morning’ … Yes, no matter how I feel when I get up in the morning!

My cousin brother, Stany is 65, and retired from his job with a well-known Petro-chemical company, some years ago. But, if you look at him, he looks much younger than I am. Being passionate about music, he took up a teaching assignment at an international school where he is a popular music teacher even now.  Besides this, he and his wife, Martina, have been leading the church choir group for years now. So, at 65, he still finds himself relevant and productive… Like they say in the context of Hindi films, he now plays ‘mature character-roles’ in his films! This afternoon, he shared this video with me:






Now, stories of people reinventing themselves, making a second-coming, or starting all over again etc., etc.… have always been long floating around. Yes, in this video, the speaker recalls how Amitabh Bachchan rose from his ashes at 57 and still going strong at 77… how, at 62, Colonel Harland Sanders, through the Great Depression, lost his hotel business, but started selling fried chicken on the roadside and went on to build,  the now world-famous, KFC… and, how at 45, Boman Irani, switched gears, to  start his acting career in Bollywood. We have many more similar stories to inspire us. I remember reading about the founder of ISCON, Swami Prabhupada. He had never set his feet outside India; but he travelled by a ship to America when he was 70! The rest is ISCON’s inspiring history! Similarly, I was hugely inspired by the story of Mary Kay, the charismatic founder of Mary Kay Cosmetics. She started her famous beauty-venture after her retirement, but with just five-hundred dollars in her savings!

‘Jab Tak Hai Jaan’ is not just the title of Yash Raj Chopra’s last film, it’s what his life chronicled. At 80, he produced and directed this romantic film and passed away once he completed it, without waiting for its release… He died with his boots on… and doing what he always loved to do – romantic films!

The same is the life story of Dev Anand and M.F. Hussain… Lata, Asha, and a Clint Eastwood…





In Life, staying relevant by living a productive life is one’s conscious choice, just as retiring, too, is. Body may age and mind may show slow reflexes… You may not be able to stay at the top of your game as you did in your twenties, thirties and forties…

But, then, what is this nonsense called – ‘Staying at the top of your game’?

You simply keep your zest alive… You simply get up, dress up and show up each morning, no matter how you feel… You simply refuse to live on your ‘pension’… simply refuse to say, ‘I am a spent force’ or ‘I am done with’!






Staying relevant, therefore, is very important for staying alive. Else, you and I may have to spend the rest of our lives - our mature years - staring at the ceiling, day in and day out!

Let me ‘retire’, for now!


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: pixabay

Videos: 1. Ravi Nair 2. Clint Eastwood/Sjef Adiaansen 3. YRF

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...