WHEN GRANDPARENTS ENTER HOME




“Nobody can do for little children what grandparents do.
Grandparents sort of sprinkle stardust over
the lives of little children.”
Alex Haley

Some five years ago, our 27-year-old son – our only offspring - decided to chuck his job and start his creative venture on his own. Along with that, he made one more decision: to live with his maternal grandparents, who lived on their own, minutes away from where we lived. I was a bit apprehensive and expressed my feelings before my son in private. “Dad, just chill,” was how he calmed me down, “I will come back, if I face any problem.”

Forget ‘problem’, the grandson and his grandparents have been getting along like a house on fire! When I see this, awestruck and confused, I think of what Claudette Colbert once said, her tongue tucked firmly in cheeks:

“Why do grandparents and their grandchildren get along so well?
They have the same enemy – the mother!”

Well, my wife hasn’t read this Post, yet!




About forty years ago, here in Bombay, when I had decided to be on my own doing what I loved – teaching – all my fears had suddenly dissolved. I was new in this city and knew none. But, that one decision – to burn all the bridges behind me – seemed to have made way for me… I was so full of enthusiasm and initiative, and least concerned about my next meal, that people started promoting me through a good word-of-mouth… One person led me to another, then another and yet another…

One such good soul put in a good word about me in the household of Dr. V.K. Iya, then a Group Director (Isotope) in BARC. So, one evening, I showed up at their bungalow in Saras Baug, just outside the BARC colony. Rekha, his daughter, was pursuing Hotel Management and (being from a Science background) was struggling with the subject of Accountancy. It was some very rudimentary stuff in Accountancy, which took hardly a few weeks to complete. I did it free of charge, inspired by Napoleon Hill’s famous philosophy of ‘Going the extra mile'.  But, it was destined to forge one of the longest family-friendships. One reason for this enduring friendship was Mrs. Iya, Rekha’s gracious mother. She, a fine teacher herself, would keep encouraging me. I needed that faith and encouragement the most in those days. Years passed by… Rekha got married to her college sweetheart, Kuldeep, gave birth to their sons, Siddanth and Vedanth… moved to a dozen cities in India and abroad... but, all the while being anchored robustly by Mrs. Iya’s love and care.

I was also privileged to be friends with Rekha’s elder sister, Vidya, who is now a well-known Cardiologist. She is married to, again, her college sweetheart, Dr. Lohit Suratkal, a Nephrologist. Their only daughter, Laasya, moved to Singapore to pursue her studies, and eventually, started working there. Vidya’s bungalow is a stone’s throw from her parents’. This proved to be a providential decision, considering the old age and health issues, with which, the family would have to grapple with subsequently…


Dr. Iya is in his nineties, now. Mrs. Iya passed away a couple of days ago, after enduring a lot of pain and anxious moments in and out of the hospitals. But, then, in death, she seems to be at peace. Being a progressive woman, she would express her desire to have a quiet and simple funeral. She would also express her wish to donate her body to the hospital where Vidya had studied. Now, thanks to this Covid lockdown, she was laid to rest in a manner even simpler and quieter than how she had desired. He body, however, was too withered to be donated to the hospital… It was laid to final rest!

Rekha’s family couldn’t make it to the funeral. However, Siddhant, her elder son, was blessed to be able to make it for the important final rites. She put together a video of touching tributes from the closest members of their family. She shared it with me, too. While all the tributes were very moving, I was particularly moved by the ones from Laasya, Vidya’s daughter, and Siddhant, Rekha’s son. I took Rekha’s permission to share them in this Blog. As Mrs. Iya has gone off to eternal rest, I remember what Gene Perret said so coloufully:

“On the seventh day, God rested;
His grandchildren must’ve been out of town!”




ON THOSE LONELY NIGHTS
Siddhant Bhartee

The whole family told us to call her ‘Awwa’. ‘Call her Awwa!’ ‘This is Awwa’.
She said – ‘Aap mujhe Nani bulao’ (Call me Nani).
No one knows why.
This appellation is used primarily in North India and, perhaps, she felt a commonality between my father’s origins in Punjab
and her own upbringing in Delhi. This was before I moved to Delhi
and later learned Hindi from her.

My first memory of Nani is lying down between my grandparents
and watching Mahabharat on television… B.R Chopra’s Mahabharat.
It was the episode where Bhima kills Hidimba and marries
his sister Hidimbaa.
While other kids were told bedtime stories from the Brothers Grimm,
Nani regaled me with exploits of Krishna and Balaram.
I grew up on the heroic tales of Arjuna, Hanuman and Dashratha-putra Ram. And I am lucky. In a family of west-loving intellectuals,
I owe my Hindu-ness and India-ness to her.

The first shloka that emerged from my lips was ‘Shantakaram…’
from Vishnu Sahasranamam, after hearing her repeat it daily in the kitchen.
She would talk about great Hindus like Ramakrishna Paramhansa,
Vivekananda and Adi Sankara.
There were numerous Amar Chitra Kathas and other patriotic books
lying around the capacious living room awaiting perusal.
These helped steep a young mind in ancient and potent wisdom.
This wisdom was to be the well-waters of which were to give me rejuvenation
in the dark times to come.
The Bhagavata Gita and Rajagopalachari’s Mahabharat were two such books.
She knew each of our favorite dishes, be it Avial and Brinjal for Laasya,
Dosa and Sambar rice for Vedanth or Mysore Paak and Puliodare for me.
Her choicest dishes were Akki roti and Rava idli.
Breakfast was an enjoyable affair in the Saras Baug household
which many of you have been fortunate to partake of.
When she was mobile and could eat solid food, I would buy her samosas and kachoris which we would eat together.
She would crunch loudly while chewing, like a little turtle.
My love for gardening came from her and she would display her orchids
with pride. Padding barefoot in the garden was fun
on lazy summer afternoons followed with coffee.
I loved the softness of her cheeks and would often kiss and pet her.
She was my doll, bomma.
It’s strange how a living, breathing person vanishes the very next moment … and that’s the beauty of life!

I am lucky that till the age of 29, I could spend ample time with my grandmother, my favorite person in the world and have my heart’s fill of love, conversations and memories.
I could recognize her knock on the door.
We never had a single fight and no harsh words were spoken between us.
It was a relationship based on mutual respect
and the channels of communication were always open.
I could call her by name and speak however I wanted to. There was no insistence on respect or propriety.
An embrace was always there for both sides to run into.
She openly called me her favorite, her ‘Bhagwan’ to the amusement of others.

It was befitting that I was the one who gave heat to my Nani’s pyre.
All I could see was a bundle wrapped in plastic on which I placed twigs, ghee and then lit with flames.
I couldn’t see her face one last time… Visuals are secondary though.

I have a feeling in me that is filled with her, a place called Shrimati
that I cannot and will not share with anyone...
It’s private and between the two of us.
And on those lonely nights, when I’m unable to sleep,
I’ll look out into the black of night and a vague jumble of memories
will cascade upon me. And I’ll strain to make sense of it.
And then, I’ll remember the feelings beneath and feel better.
This feeling will guide me toward a place of well-being.

Nani, you are my mother… I miss you mom.

I will meet you again. But not yet. Not yet.





WHERE TIME ALWAYS SEEMED
TO STAND COMPLETELY STILL

Laasya Suratkal


How do you write a pithy summary about the loss of a mother?
Words struggle to capture the memories and emotions
that bubble up when I think of my Nani.

She was a constant through my childhood.
Every single day after school, I was received by Nani’s loving arms
and warm fresh food. My parents knew they could rely on her
to be there for their young daughter when they were occupied
long days at work.
My grandparents instructed me, amused me, entertained me, loved me
and never let me feel the absence of my parents when I was at Saras Baug.

Looking back, my cousins and I could display the most brattish behavior
or play any number of pranks on our grandparents
and they would still patiently welcome us back the next day.

As a child, I was bemused at how two individuals, as different
from each other as my grandparents, could spend a lifetime together.
Nani was ever-practical, concerned with the daily operations
of running a household and caring for small children
and Tata was consumed by the ways of the world,
always talking about science or politics.
Tata’s morbid sense of humour would rarely sit well with Nani’s solemnity.
I would persistently ask Tata if they had an arranged marriage
or a love marriage, and he would joke back to me,
“We had a hate marriage”.
However, as I grew older, I started to appreciate and marvel
at how they were so dependent on each other in small ways,
at how even a brief absence of one would put the other in such discomfort,
at how while they teased and taunted each other when together,
they formed a complete unit, her yin to his yang.
My heart bleeds to think of one without the other.

The hardest part of moving to Singapore was definitely leaving my parents –
but leaving my grandparents behind was a close second.
Over the years, as I started working, visits back became briefer and briefer.
With every goodbye, I would be shaken by the thought t
hat it could be the last time.
My grandparents’ health would be frailer with every visit
and I would marvel at the strong, brave front my mother put up –
being there for them one moment as a daughter,
the next moment in her capacity as a doctor.
I dreamed of a day that I could take a break from the stresses of daily life
and go back to my childhood, spending long summer days at Saras Baug
where time always seemed to stand completely still.
Sadly, that remained a distant childish dream!

For a matriarch and life-giver, who was so programmed to put the needs of everyone else over her own,
it hurts that we could not provide her with a few moments of comfort,
relief or salvation in her last years of anguish.
I could not be there to soothe her and hold her hand one last time.

I received the news of her demise over the phone and a childhood of love dissolved before my eyes,
with no way of doing anything about it.
Time eroded a fine lady and the wounds are still raw.
We can only hope that time plays its part to heal as well,
so we can look back at all the good Nani did in this world
and learn from her spirit of service, selflessness and unconditional love.







When grandparents enter the door,” said Ogden Nash, "discipline flies out of the window.” Obviously, Nash hadn’t entered the Iya household, as I, and many like me, had...

Rest well, Mrs. Iya. Yes, your grandchildren are out of town; but, they are safe and disciplined… Rest assured.






GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: listden.com

Videos: 1. Google India 2. Fortune Foods 3. HelpAge India 4. British Airways
            5. Domino's India

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...