THE KINDLING OF A FLAME



“Education is the kindling of a flame,
not the filling of a vessel.”

Socrates

Well, let’s accept the fact, that none of us here, on this planet, knows everything. And, none of us is fully prepared for the onslaught of change. But, learning has, always, been the outcome of our childlike curiosity, our sense of wonder and our ability to take risks by walking the less-trodden path. This was so since the beginning of time… It’s the quest that has been driving man to learn more and more and more.

Therefore, the time we now live in – time of Information Technology – is not the end of Time… It’s just one more passage of time. You and I are simply happened to be here through this passage…

Yes, let’s accept the fact, that, today, the information and knowledge are available ready on the platter for each one of us… They are right there at our fingertips. If any of us is still complaining, he/she being plain lazy… It’s an excuse. We all can make the best use of the information and knowledge available for us. Germany Kent says, “If you are on social media, and you are not learning, not laughing, not being inspired or not networking, then you are using it wrong.”

I think, that’s so true!

If we do not have the quest, we won’t find the answers. The quest, as I said, has been man’s strongest drive. Even Albert Einstein had admitted when he said this: “It is not that I’m so smart. But, I stay with the questions much longer.”

I love that last part of Great Einstein’s confession: “I stay with the questions much longer.”

It’s a fact, that, today, the information and knowledge are available at our finger tips. But, it’s not just appeared there through magic… Some, who stayed with the questions much longer – yes, it’s they who have made it available for all of us at our fingertips. But, it’s just not possible for them to stay with the questions that longer without a childlike curiosity, sense of wonder, and, above all, the willingness to take risks by walking the less-trodden path. And, let me tell you this: Even to access this pool of information and knowledge with our fingertips, we need to have the same childlike curiosity, the sense of wonder and the willingness to walk the less-trodden path…

Like many around me, I, too, love to listen to good music. But, music is not my core domain. Still, every time I am impressed and inspired by a great musician, a curiosity gets developed in my heart to know more about this musician… “How did he become so great in his core field?” This quest drives my curiosity… I am awe-struck. So, I go about finding more and more information about this musician. And, as I do it, I am surprised to see the connection… What I find out helps me grow in my own core field. Yes, I find it useful and connected.

Yesterday, my curiosity to learn and grow led me to know more about John Bonham, the legendary drummer of the rock band ‘Led Zeppelin'. John, who has been hailed as the greatest drummer of all time, was a self-taught drummer. He started drumming as a kid, and, by the time he died at 32, he had become a legend. While I was searching more information about John, I found these two videos…












Now, look at this. These guys are music teachers, and they are teaching here the art of playing drums using a piece of information which is already available on YouTube. The drumming lessons, which these two teachers have put together, have become a new piece of information to so many, including me. Well, though I may not use it become a great drummer, I will certainly use it to enhance my skills in my own core domain…

That’s how it is, I think. Yes, everything we need to learn and grow is there right at our fingertips. But, what about that childlike curiosity, the sense of wonder and the willingness to take risks by walking the less-trodden path?

And, what about our willingness to stay with the questions much longer?


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: abcnews.go.com

Videos: 1. Led Zeppelin/Kaushal Bajracharya 2. Drumset Artistry 
            3.  Polyphonic

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...