ONE YEAR NEARER TO GOD




“Grace is the free, undeserved goodness
and favour of God to mankind.”

Matthew Henry

A dear friend of mine, who never forgets to wish me on my birthday, sounded a bit anxious, this morning (23rd July). “Was your b’day yesterday, or is it tomorrow?” she messaged me to check, “Hope, I haven’t missed it.”

“Don’t worry, you haven’t missed it,” I calmed my friend down, “It’s tomorrow.”

“Thank God,” my friend said with a sigh of relief, “I will call you tomorrow.”






“Live as if there is no tomorrow.” Often, this line is used in a negative sense… If one lives carelessly, this line suits him. In Goa, such a casual and laid-back attitude to life is called ‘Susegad’… ‘Khao, piyo, maja karo’! But, what about Pumbaa and Timon’s African philosophy - ‘Hakuna Matata’, in the movie ‘The Lion King’? Is it an attitude of being ‘careless’ or ‘carefree’? Have I been, predominantly, ‘careless’ in my life, or ‘carefree’?

I really do not know…

But, one thing I know: though I haven’t seen tomorrow’s Sun, I have believed in one… There ‘is’ a tomorrow’s Sun… He ‘will’ appear tomorrow!

Therefore, the question is not about the Sun; the question is about me… Will I be there to see the tomorrow’s Sun?

A year is a long time! It’s, also, a large sum of bonus!


When I completed 60, two years ago, I had no hint about the health crisis that awaited me, just a couple of months away… I survived the Cancer, one kidney lesser though!

‘Thank God’, really felt very, very meaningful!

Then, when I completed 61, last July, I – together with the whole world – had not even the faintest hint about the health crisis that awaited, just a couple of months away, for the entire mankind!

Yes. I have survived so far – along with many more – even though ‘living’ meant a confinement within the four walls…

‘Thank God’ feels very, very, very meaningful, Sir!


“Nearer, my God, to Thee, nearer to Thee… Have you heard of this hymn?” I asked my friend, this morning. She hadn’t. So, I sent to her this video:






One year nearer to God! I don’t think, that’s a defeatist attitude to live by. I think, the awareness of Life’s shortness and value is what spirituality is all about. If God gives another year to me – shall I say ‘another breath’ – it will be such an amazing grace. I, also, sent to my friend this video:





“I am going down on my knees, my friend,” I concluded.



GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic's.: pixabay

Videos: 1. Andre Rieu 2. catesscottish

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...