STAYING IN TOUCH HELPS




If you are afraid of being lonely,
don’t try to be right.”

Jules Renard

We will be completing four months of State-imposed isolation… Call it by its much-detested name - ‘Lockdown’. Some of us – which includes me – have never stepped out of our doors during these four months. And, we have no idea as to how long it may continue. Little children, young boys and girls, adults and elderly - all are ‘forced’ to be locked inside. Yes, for our own good… No doubt about it… No complaints about it. But, then, we were never used to live like this… We were social animals – We were out most of the day… We loved to be with our friends and colleagues… We loved to attend social events, prayer services…  We went out for movies, shopping and outings. Young boys and girls, who were head-over-heels in love, now must be dying! No one is spared… No one.

So, in times like these, when someone checks on me, with a call or a text message -  “How’re you?”, what should I say? - “Bored"… "Frustrated"… "Depressed"? In fact, that would be an honest response. I have responded like that to many. And, many have responded similarly to me, when I had checked on them, asking, “How’re you?”

But, like everyone else does, most of the times, I, too, put on a mask and say, “I am good” … “I am fine”!

I am not… We are not!

I seriously think, that we need to express before those who matter in our lives exactly how we feel during these times. We need our near and dear ones… We need to acknowledge our loneliness and anxieties. That’s healthy and human. That heals…

The mask is a big lie… It’s a heavy load to carry!

So, even though we all are lonely, sad and depressed, saying a ‘Hello’ helps… It feels very nice. A cousin of mine, who regularly checks on me, did that today through this delightful story…


THE MONKEY AND THE LION

Once, a monkey wished to die due to sadness. He pulled the ears of a sleeping Lion. The Lion woke up and roared with anger, “Who did this? Who has called his death?”

“I did it, my Lord," confessed the Monkey, "I am very depressed due to lack of friends. Please eat me.”

The Lion said with a laugh, “Did any one see you while pulling my ears?”

“No Lord,” replied the Monkey.

“Okay. Pull one more, two more, three more times," insisted the Lion, "It really feels good!”

The moral of the story is: by living alone, even the King of the forest gets bored. So, stay in touch with your friends… Keep pulling their ears!





The story has brought a chuckle in my heart, and I am still smiling. Tomorrow will be another lockdown day. But, then, if we keep pulling each other’s ears, we will be able to feel good!


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Artem Beliaikin

Video: The Voice UK

Comments

Ananya sharma said…
I have started reading your blog's sir and it really motivates me alot. Thank you sir for keeping me motivated and firing a light in my heart and giving me strength to live the following lockdown days happily.

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...