IN SEARCH OF GREENER GRASS




“Grass isn’t always greener on the other side.
It’s green where you water it.”

Anonymous

What is the actual meaning of the proverb – ‘Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence’?

Probably, almost every school kid has written an essay or composition on this proverb. When I did, our ‘lawn’ – call it ‘our situation’ – wasn’t green at all. If you take the statement literally, you may laugh: Mangalore is lush green, particularly in a month like July. So, you would never leave this place if you go by the greenery of the land; you would leave it, only because, that - I mean 'Green' -  is, was and will be, always, the colour of the money – the financial situation!

Almost all of us – no matter on which side of the fence we live – are programmed to stretch our necks out and envy the greenery of our ‘neighbour’s lawns’. In a way, this tendency has kept all of us working harder to keep up with – and even beat – our neighbours. Remember the famous ad of ONIDA TV – ‘Neighbour’s envy, owner’s pride’?

So, if the greener grass on the other side of the fence can make us all work harder and longer to make our own lawns even greener – well, let’s call it good motivation, and allow ourselves to be tempted by the horny devil… Let’s shout: “I love ONIDA… I love to be tempted!”

Our forefathers were wise. They knew, that it’s not possible for anyone to be on both sides of the lawn at the same time. So, in my case, I had to either stay back in my li’l village and strive to grow greener grass there, or migrate to a city like Bombay (now Mumbai) seeking greener pastures. Yes, I couldn’t be on both sides of the lawn, at the same time …





Today, my dear friend Sunitha, who lives in Chennai, had wished me a Good Morning with the anonymous quote:

“Grass isn’t always greener on the other side.
It’s green where you water it.”

I had assured her, that I would be posting a Blog on it before the Sun goes down this evening…

Hope, I have kept my word…



GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: www.wallpaperflare.com

Video: DisneyMusicVEVO


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...