BHAYYA, THODA KADIPATTA DHALO




“When you’re angry and frustrated, what comes out?
Whatever it is, it’s a good indication of what you’re made of.”

H. Jackson Brown


Curry leaves – we called them ‘Bevu soppu’ in Kannada – went in every dish prepared in our li’l South-Indian village, Mangalore. Well, almost in every dish! So, just as each house had a Tulsi plant in the front yard, the back yard of every house in our village had a curry leaves plant. Soon, the plant would grow up into quite a big tree. I remember having one in our own back yard. It had grown huge. Some from the neighbourhood, who did not have a curry leaves plant at home, would come to our house. And we gladly and generously let them take away whatever quantity they wished to take. Each one took almost a branch!

But, that’s how it was… Giving away a branch of the curry leaves plant was believed to be a ‘good karma’. So, when the beneficiary of this good karma dropped a few curry leaves while cooking, the aroma invariably reached our home… and we would feel happy about it!

Now, here in Mumbai, I have lived for over four decades. It makes me feel not only nostalgic, but also intrigued, to see how curry leaves are given away by every sabziwala – no matter how poor he is – just free of charge… “Bhayya, thoda kadipatta dhalo!”




Today, for a strange reason, I found myself becoming a curry leaf and complaining: “How I wish I wasn’t a curry leaf! I hate to see people treating me so cheap… and taking me for granted! Even the grass and the dry leaves have a price… and I am tossed away just like that!”

Well, fortunately, my life as a curry leaf – rather the state of frustration – was short-lived. I knew my value and how sought-after and valuable I was. The only thing I had to remind myself about me was the matchless gift I was endowed with: being priceless!





So, I went back to celebrate my life as a curry leaf – unique and priceless!

I smile, every time I hear, “Bhayya, thoda kadipatta dhalo”!


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: 1. english.matrubhumi.com 2. www.pixels.com

Video: Dare to Do Motivation


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...