DO PAL KE JEEVAN SE

 


“Kuch paakar khona hai, Kuch khokar paana hai

Jeevan ka matlab toh aana aur jaana hai

Do pal ke Jeevan se ek umr churaani hai.”

From the song ‘Ek Pyar Ka Nagma Hai’

(Lyrics by Santosh Anand. Music by Laxmikant Pyarelal.

Sung by Lata Mangeshkar.)

 

Today Lata Mangeshkarji turns 91. Early in the morning, Soumya, the college-going daughter of our neighbors and family-friends, Sanjeev and Sandya Nair, had sent to me and my wife a lovely-old Lata-song. Soumya is passionate about singing, particularly Lataji’s classics. She uploads them, regularly, on her YouTube channel. “Hello Uncle, hope you enjoy this song… I have dedicated this to my idol, Lataji,” she wrote.




I smiled looking at the distinct two-plaits specially donned, today, by our 18-19-year-old, Soumya… I remembered the eventful, inspiring and one-of-a-kind journey, close to a century, of the legend of Lata Mangeshkar!

I, also, remembered my dad, in the sixties… when he was in his thirties and I was not even 10. He had hardly been to school and worked as a mechanic at a local workshop. He drank like a fish and smoked like a chimney. But, with his meager income, he could only afford to drink the desi stuff… and, he drank it raw! This, coupled with relentless smoking of beedies, brought his early death, at 57. His liver, heart and lungs – you can imagine – had gone for a toss!

I am not remembering my dad, today, for his ‘vices’. Let me confess: he was a loving and caring dad despite his huge flaws. He seldom turned violent after drinking… Instead, he turned into a Mohammed Rafi and sang, as a possessed man, the songs of ‘Baiju Bawra’ (1951) – ‘O Duniyak Ke Rakhwale' and ‘Tu Ganga Ki Mauj me’ … When, my dad sang these songs, I would run into hidings… I hated to see him sing like that, even though the people around (mostly at local wedding functions) loved to see him sing. I went into my shy shell and took a long time to come out of it…






I, also, took a long time to really appreciate, value and respect the raw passion and the wild dreams my dad must’ve suppressed under the toxic layer of desi stuff…

It’s Mohammed Rafi, Lata Mangeshkar and our Konkani folk-songs, which we called ‘Mando’, that kept my dad’s life going…  He sang them, as I said, like a possessed man at every available place…  

So, today, as our darling Soumya shared Lataji’s song, looking at her ‘madness’ and playfulness, I remembered the madness and playfulness of my own dad… Those were the difficult times… No money, electricity or a radio at home, leave alone what is available, today, to us and our children who are passionate about singing.

My younger brother, Rony, had inherited my dad’s madness, minus drinking and smoking. He started singing from his school days and, through his dedication, persistence and passion, carved a name for himself in Konkani music-circle. Presently, he is settled in Kuwait; but, his singing has made him a celebrity in every Mangalorean Konkani-speaking household.

Last night I heard Rony, as a Judge, telling a young semi-finalist of a popular Konkani reality-show (telecast from Kuwait) this: “Remember, the lyrics of a song are like the backbone and the skeleton of our body; the music and the arrangements are like the flesh around it… and, the singer is the face!”

Well, not because my brother said this, but, because it was a sensible analogy, I realized how important it was for a singer to get into the lyrics… and feel them in his/her bones before voicing them out…

Baiju (insane) Bawra sang like that…

Rafi saab sang like that…

Lataji sang like that…





As I wish Lataji good health and peace of mind on her 91st birthday, I, also, bend my backbone to thank her for inspiring my dad, brother and our darling Soumya…

What else can I wish, today?

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: movies.ndtv.com

Videos: 1.Soumya Nair 2 & 3 Shemaroo Filmi Gaane 

4. Lath Mangeshkar/Nakul1988in 5. Santosh Anand/Harsha BK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...