WHERE TROUBLE MELTS LIKE LEMON DROPS

 


“Somewhere over the rainbow,

Where bule birds fly…

Wake up where clouds are far behind me

Where trouble melts like lemon drops”

From the song ‘Somewhere over the Rainbow’

Film: ‘The Wizard of Oz’ (1939)


Many think, on reading my Blogs, that I am a strong person, who is almost always, upbeat and positive. Well, I am not. Many who know me well, also know how easily I slip into the panic mode… how anxious, worried and fearful I become, so often. I cry at the drop of the hat; I just can’t conceal my emotions…

And, yes… Perhaps, this is my strength; not weakness!

When a person cries his/her honest tears, I think, he comes out cleansed. When you have emptied up all your load through your tears, you find yourself in a very serene place…

Today, I saw that happening… This must be my third Post about my eleventh-standard student, Shilpa*. She, her sister, both parents – were all tested Covid positive. Only her 3-year-old kid-brother was spared. Presently, all have come home from the quarantine centre. But, her dad is still battling for life in the ICU of a hospital. Shilpa, despite the situation at home, kept attending all her college and private online-sessions. In my last blog, I had confessed, that people like her, who quietly and gracefully bear their personal cross, are my true heroes... That, they inspire me. Shilpa, always, came about as a brave young girl… Always sounded positive and in control of her emotions…

But, not today morning when I had called Shilpa. Though I had called her relating to our class, I first enquired about her dad’s condition… She broke down, uncontrollably. “Dad’s heart is not responding to any treatment, Sir,” she managed to say, “Hospital showed him to us through a video… It’s heart-breaking!” For about five full minutes, she sobbed like a real human being, who was in pain, who was anxious and worried… She emptied her tank…

Though, witnessing that was heart-breaking, indeed!

Our class was not important. I tried to control my own emotions and console my young student. I suggested, that she should now take a break from our online sessions and focus on her home situation…

“Ok Sir,” Shilpa agreed.

But, at 12 noon, I was humbled to see her connected. I did not say a single word… Nor did Shilpa…

It was evident, that Shilpa had seen the fear straight in the eye…

“It was good that way”, I thought.



Life – and this world – is much bigger than our individual problems. The media makes us feel, that this world and people in it are all ruined. Media thrives on selling fear, making us numb and paranoid…

So, it’s best, in our own interest, to seek refuge in something cheerful, something simple, sublime and upbeat… Yes, like the beautiful land beyond the rainbow…

 



Let the Prophets of Doom make their dark prophesies… Let’s keep singing, “What a wonderful World!”

None of us are going to live forever on this planet. I don’t know who will die and who will survive in this Pandemic…  But, like the skies and the oceans, Life and this world will live on…

 



“Somewhere over the rainbow,

Where blue birds fly…

Wake up where clouds are far behind me

Where trouble melts like lemon drops”

 

 *Name changed


GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic.: pixabay

 

Video: 1. T-Series 2. IgFlower 3. Lifemark

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...