WHAT HAS THE 'MASK' CHANGED?

 



“I want to change things for good;

But, sometimes, for things to get better,

they first have to get worse.”

Becky Moynihan

 

Some six months ago, when the Covid situation was still at its cradle stage – as far as our county was concerned – most of us had no hint about the kind of disruption it would cause to our lives. Now, after almost six months, when we look around us, yes, none has been spared…

Life has been disrupted for each and every one of us. Those who have lost their jobs, and those who haven’t yet, yes, all of us are anxious… Governments and the armies included… The richest and the wisest included… The God-men and the nastiks included…

But, then, I wonder: Whatever happened to the ‘New World Order’, that many kept prophesying about?



It’s for me to see if the world within me has started witnessing a new order. It’s futile to ask, if it has happened for others, too. The mass disruptions of any kind seldom leave our lives unchanged… This Pandemic is no exception. How has the present disruption affected my inner order is for me to reflect upon…Should I continue to live the way I did? Should I continue to react to situations around me the way I did? Should I continue to be obsessed with fame, wealth and power the way I did? Should I continue to be driven by my arrogance the way I did?... Yes, these are some of the hard questions I need to ask myself, before the order within me can change…

Wearing a mask, sanitizing my hands and the stuff I use, keeping physical distance when I move around in the society… Yes, this is not the new world order I am concerned about… If I find myself still power-hungry and obsessed with fame and wealth, if I find myself still driven by my arrogance and social prejudice, if I find myself still reactive while interacting with my fellow-beings… then, I wonder: What has the ‘Mask’ changed? What has the ‘sanitizer’ sanitized?




When the order of my inside world changes, invariably, it changes for the better… I don’t know about the outside world.


GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic's.: pixabay

 

Video: Dare to do Motivation

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...