GIVING FAITH A FIGHTING CHANCE

 



“Give the heavens above

more than a passing glance.”

From the song ‘I Hope You Dance’

 

Many years ago, there was this student of mine, who was excellent in her studies and a very talented dancer. She loved almost all forms of dance, although, being South Indians, her family had, by default, wanted her to pursue ‘Bharatanatyam’. But, my student was passionate about dancing – just dancing!

Incidentally, this young girl was very fond of my writings, particularly the short pieces written like poems (I still don’t understand what poetry means… I just write!). So, on the last day of her class, she wanted me to write something in her scrapbook (Do young kids still keep them?)… I wrote the famous line from Lee Ann Womack’s song – ‘I Hope You Dance’!

Then, I played the song for her on my PC…




The young girl was in tears, by the time the song was over. “Thank you, Sir… Thank you so, so much, for everything,” she said, with a warm hug…

It’s about twelve years since I wrote that line in my student’s scrapbook and bid her goodbye. Since then, a thousand things must’ve happened in this girl’s life… the happy ones, the sad ones, the exhilarating ones, the frustrating ones… yes, like they happen in everyone’s life. I wonder, sometimes: Is the young girl still dancing?

‘Dancing’ is just a metaphor of life. The song is much beyond dancing on our feet… Just listen to Tia Sillers telling us what made her write those inspiring lines with such beauty and healing touch:




Look, what an amazing irony it is! You and I  can write such refreshing and uplifting lines even when completely broken – and down! You and I can still dance! Yes, still dance!

Every line in that song has come from the pit of sorrow and hopelessness… But, it has come because, one has kept feeling small standing under God’s glorious sky… beside the majestic oceans and before the humbling mountains…

And, in such an overwhelming feeling alone, we can experience the strength and the beauty that lies dormant within… In such an experience alone, we can realize how small all our sorrows and heartbreaks are… How silly it is to give up our ‘dancing’ just because the heart is presently broken… How important it is ‘to give the heaven above more than a passing glance’!

 




When I wrote those words – ‘I Hope You dance’ – for my young student, I wanted her to ‘live well’, ‘give well’, and as the song urges, I wanted her to give ‘faith a fighting chance’…

‘Dancing’ is just a metaphor of life… When we get a choice to sit it out or dance, I hope, we dance!

Yes, I hope, we dance...

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s: pixabay

 Videos: 1. Lee Ann Womack/maardzam

             2. countrysongdemos

 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Somehow, your words always comfort me at the right time sir :) it has been so long those days! I always cherish them! Thank you for everything sir :)
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Glad to hear that. Do read my posts often. Love and best wishes, always. Love

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...