TRAPPED INSIDE OUR MIRRORS

 



“You shouldn’t expect to grow on compliments alone.”

Ojingiri Hannah

 

They say, the ‘Magic Mirror’ on the wall, made popular in the endearing fable ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’, keeps shifting its position… Sometimes, it rests on the wall; sometimes, on a high stand; and, yes, at other times, it rests even closer to the eyes – in the hand!

Where does the Magic Mirror rest? It’s not important. Whether it exists or not – yes, that’s important.

Do we all like to look in our own Magic Mirrors – over and over and over again – and ask, “Tell me mirror, who is the fairest one of all?” If not like that, “Magic Mirror, tell me, am I the fairest of all?” If not even like that, “Mirror in my hand, mirror in my hand, tell me, if I am as fair as them?”

Ah! That Magic Mirror!





The need to be complimented runs deep in our DNA. The depth may differ… And, our admission and the denial of this need – both may differ from person to person. For example, I don’t like to take my own pictures or selfies and keep posting them on social media. But, I like to keep posting my Blogs, almost daily. I don’t like to share in public what I cook or eat, what I buy, wear or gift, where I vacation or how I and my near ones are honoured… But, I do post my own ‘selfies’ and I do ask, just like others do, the same question: “Mirror on the wall, Mirror on the wall, am I the fairest of all?” Or, “ Am I, at least, as fair as them?”

What a deep need?




So often, the Mirror lies as it did to the Evil Queen. I seriously think, when our own Mirrors tell us, “You the fairest, my Queen,” most of them are not honest… They just want us to feel better, or, perhaps, by doing that, they want to feel better!

Whatever the reason, every time I want the Magic Mirror to like me, compliment me, endorse me, I know it’s my deep need… I feel good when others like me, compliment me, praise me and endorse me. But, then, when I find this need is insatiable, when I crave for others’ validation more and more and more – yes, that’s when I realize, that trying to grow on others’ compliments excessively, will only keep the Evil Queen in me alive - insecure, sad and angry!

May our Mirrors help us with the simple wisdom: “My Queen, it’s okay not to be the fairest of all.”

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s.: pixabay

 

Video: Sora4277

Comments

Anonymous said…
Reality strikes! Sooner or later :) And it's okay..
Gerald D'Cunha said…
True, my friend. Love

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...