THE DAFFODIL PRINCIPLE

 




“Consistency is harder when no one is clapping for you.

You must clap for yourself during these times.

You should always be your biggest fan.”

Anonymous

 

During today’s Personality-development session, I was asking young ones and little ones the same question: “What’s that you want to become in life?”

The little kids jumped to announce: “Sir, I want to be a Police Officer,” or “I want to be a Racing-car Driver,” or “I want to be a Doctor,” and so on. I remembered doing the same thing, when I was a kid like them… a Police Officer, a Pilot, a Doctor and a Priest… But, strangely, not a teacher or a writer!

On the other hand, the young ones – who were about to enter their junior colleges or degree colleges and, some who were about to get out of their degree colleges – yes, many of them were found scratching their heads… “I don’t know,” “I am confused,” “May be this,” and “Maybe that.” I remembered doing exactly like that, till I was in my F.Y. B. Com. It was while I was in F.Y. B. Com, that I watched my own teacher, Prof. B.S. Raman, and dreamt of becoming like him – a fine teacher and a writer. Ever since then, whenever someone asked that question – ‘What’s that you want to become in life?” – I have been clear in my head: “A teacher and a writer.”

Forty-six years later, I still see myself as ‘a teacher and a writer’!





Whether little kids and young ones like it or not, they will be asked that question – “What is that you want to become in life?”

So, it’s okay if the Police Officer ends up becoming a Politician, a Racing-car driver ends up becoming an Engineer, a Doctor ends up becoming a teacher – exactly like I did…

Kids, when they grow up, will understand, that Life doesn’t end when they become a Police Officer, Racing-car driver, Doctor, Engineer, Teacher, Writer, whatever… ‘Becoming’ is a continuous process of self-discovery. They will also understand the difference between ‘To become’ and ‘To be’. But, then, why complicate things for them… Let them keep jumping and keep scratching their heads… Somewhere during this process, the search may end…

One thing I keep insisting upon in my sessions is, that the young kids need to be consistent in their work. If they learn to do one thing consistently well, and do it with their heart and soul, over a long period of time, their work can produce magic! This is called ‘The Daffodil Principle’…

This principle of success has been inspired by an ordinary woman, like you and me. One day, she decided to raise one daffodil in her garden. Then, she kept adding one more and one more and one more… day after day, week after week, month after month and year after year… Yes, one woman, like you and me, she consistently kept doing one work with absolute dedication and passion… She was able to see what no one else was able to – an amazing garden of daffodils, spread over an expanse of five acres… And mark this: she started it in 1958!




Incidentally, 1958 was the year I was born!


Whether we like it or not, people do ask us – “What’s that you want to become in life?”

Somewhere, in our heads, the question would keep us irritated or inspired… depending upon how we wish to view Life and Success…

As for me, the ‘Daffodil Principle’ has worked. I don’t know about you… Or, our kids!

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s: 1. pixnio.com 2. www.flicker.com

Video: 1. Sky heights High 2. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...