WHAT WOULD MY MOTHER THINK?

 



“How a person wins and loses is much more important

than how much a person wins and loses.”

Tom Krause

 

One of the things I dreaded, when I was in school, was when I was called to the Headmaster’s/Principal’s office on any complaint from my teachers. The thing, that I dreaded the most, was when my parents were called to school!

Both, my father and mother had not been to school like they wanted their sons to… They were simple folks. About my relationship with them – well, I was their favourite… They, always, believed, that I was the good sheep in their pack and wouldn’t let them down. Maybe, this was the reason, why I was most scared to tell them, that the Headmaster/Principal wanted to see them!

Did my parents, always, try to inculcate good values in me?

Well, which parents wouldn’t?

I don’t think, we learn to imbibe good values in life, because our parents, teachers and mentors try to inculcate them in us. I think, we learn to imbibe them, when we learn to ‘value the value in those values’. Till then, it’s like the proverbial donkey being led to the pond and coaxed to drink water… The donkey would drink it only when it wants to!

All parents – including our son’s – have done their best to teach their children some fine values in life. In my case, I have done it, even more as a teacher, trainer and mentor. But, to claim, that all the seeds have sprouted – is to think too much about ourselves! Jesus’ parable consoles me, always:

A farmer went to plant seeds in his fields… Some seeds fell on the path. They were stepped on  and birds ate them. Some seeds fell on the rocks. They started to grow; but soon wilted, because there wasn’t enough water for them. Some seeds fell in weeds. Thorns grew on the weeds and killed the baby plants. Some seeds fell on good soil. They grew well and gave a good crop.”






What is important to us in life is a value... What is, often, described as - ‘The right thing to do’. But, as it’s also said, often: ‘A value is a value only when we realize, that the value of that value is valuable to us.’

Because I still feel the dread of being called to the Head Master’s/Principal's office while in school and still feel ashamed and anxious about my parents being called to the school – yes, perhaps, because of these memories which are still alive in me, I have never ever called a parent to complain about my students. I have, always, tried to prevail upon my students on my own… Most of the times, I have succeeded. Sometimes, I haven’t. But, then, ‘That’s perfectly fine’, I keep reminding myself, ‘Life neither ends with the classrooms, nor starts there.’

I think, all our values have come in us, because we have let them in. Period. If I did not wish to let my parents down, it’s not because my parents asked me to do so… but, it was, because I thought it was important to me… the right thing to do… I chose that value in my life - “What would my dad or mom think?”

On the other hand, for someone else, it could be: “What would the world think?”

Late last night, my friend, Kiran, sent this story to me:



 


I thanked Kiran for sharing this rare and inspiring story…

But, I wondered, as I went off to sleep: ‘Would I have done that same thing, under the same situation?’

I am leaving it at that…

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s: pixabay

Video: Life With Goals

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...