SARDINES' HEADS

 



“Go back; don’t throw back.”

Darnell Lamont Walker

 

Many years ago, I had attended a wedding of one of my cousins in my hometown, Mangalore. A couple of years ago, I happened to see a picture shared by this cousin on FB… It’s the traditional ‘family picture’ captured on the belief: ‘Bigger the size, the better the picture!’ So, they would stuff, in one frame, almost a few dozen… parents, grandparents, great grandparents, cousins – first, second, third… uncles and aunts, both, from dad’s side and mom’s size… Imagine the size, if the families of groom and bride both made to fit in!

So, my friend Joe, who is known for his wicked humour, commented on the picture shared by my cousin. He wrote in Konkani:

“Maplyacha kaantinth tharlayaso mando!”

‘Maplyacha’ meaning the Muslim fish vendor’s…

‘Kaantinth’ meaning in the huge fish-basket…

‘Tharyaso’ meaning of Sardine fish…

‘Mando’ meaning head…

All put together, my friend wanted to tell me this: “I can see the top portion of your head… It looks like the Sardine’s (Tarli fish) head in vendor’s big fish-basket.”

 

 



What on earth makes me think of this ‘Sardine’s head’ episode?

As many of you know by now (thanks to FB), 24th of this month was my b’day. There was a time, I would personally acknowledge, like and thank each and every person who greeted me. That came from my innate belief, that responding to each message made me look like a civilized soul – a gentleman. But, imagine saying, ‘Thank You  dear ….. Means a lot. Love’ some five hundred times!

I learnt to go easy on my own self-created belief… “It’s okay… They understand.” Thus, I just started pressing the ‘Like’ or ‘Love’ button and finished it with a single common ‘Thank you dear all…’ reply.

Just like the newspaper, after a day or two, nobody remembers who wished whom, and who replied to whom…

Raat gayi, baat gayi!

But, some like my dear old-student, Tarun*, wouldn’t let the night go in vain. “Sir, you haven’t replied to my b’day greetings to you.” He messaged to me, today, sounding a bit upset.

I quickly pacified: “Hello Taurn, you are my most faithful well-wisher. Your wishes mean a lot to me. Old man forgets sometimes, you see. Loads of love.”

‘Old man'?

Well, back in my hometown, my mom, who had just entered her 87th on 3rd of this month, apparently, was planning to surprise her son in Mumbai on his 63rd b’day. She was coaxing her grandson (my nephew) Macklin, to do some jugaad and create a picture, in which, her five sons (one is no more), she and our late dad (expired in 1983!) – yes, they all would be posing as one happy family. Bravo! Young Macklin did pass in his jugaad… Interestingly, in this jugaad picture, mom and dad looked some fifty/sixty years younger than their five sons!

Macklin shared the picture on my b’day and narrated the story behind it!

So, while replying to my dear old-student, Tarun, saying, ‘Old man forgets sometimes, you see,’ I remembered my mom, who hadn’t forgotten to surprise her son…




All the b’day greetings might have looked like Sardines’ heads in the big basket of a fish vendor, but, every head counts, my dear friends… It takes some five-hundred Sardines to make the big fish-basket…

Honestly, it means a lot!

 

*Name changed

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s: pixabay

Video: Ultra Bollywood

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...