TO BE SUCCESSFUL... OR, TO BE FAITHFUL?



 
 



















“God has not called me to be successful; He has called me to be faithful.”


What did Mother Theresa mean when she had said this?


Yesterday, I had shared in my Post what our PD students – kids, young ones and middle-aged – had to say on: ‘What Success means to me’.


This morning, after the Mass, there was a send-off for our assistant parish-priest, Fr. Simon. In his emotional speech, he quoted Mother Theresa: 

“God has not called me to be successful; He has called me to be faithful.” 


Fr. Simon knew that during his two-year tenure, whatever he had performed was done by him with full commitment and love… He had been faithful to the mission he was assigned to… That, he had the silent satisfaction and pride of not compromising on his commitment… That, he had been faithful. He said in his speech: “So, my dear parishioners, as Mother Theresa had said, I too consider that, two years ago, God had sent to me to this parish to be ‘faithful’ to the mission assigned upon me… Whether I am ‘successful’ or not – well, it is just an opinion of the world!”


My mind went back to the same question: “What Success means to me!”


Was Mother Theresa a ‘Successful’ nun?


Now, was Fr. Simon a ‘Successful’ priest?


Honestly, till I heard this line, during the send-off speech, this morning, I wasn’t thinking from this perspective.


I have been sent here by God, on this earth, with a mission… and He expects me to be ‘faithful’ to my mission. That’s all! My concern should be: “Have I been faithful to God?” If the answer is ‘Yes’, then, I am successful… Whether the world thinks so or not.


So, who are we to judge Mother Theresa – whether she was ‘successful’ or not? 


Fr. Simon was telling us the same thing: “If in God’s eyes, I have passed, I do not need the world’s certificate.”


Once I am faithful, I really do not need to worry about whether I am successful or not.  


In deed, I found a new meaning in this line. I felt a deep sense of relief: which meant, I had attached a great deal of importance to world’s opinion about my performance on this earth!


This morning, the load did fall off my heart. I felt a lot lighter!



After a couple of hours, I met Vijay, a friend of mine, who lives in my own colony. They are three brothers. The eldest brother, who is now over 40, had been mentally challenged and, ever since he was born, is dependent on his adorable mother. This young man cannot exist without the love, care and support of his mother. Wherever they go, they have to think about this son… The son needs mother: to feed him, bathe him, to help him with his toilet work. When I was talking to Vijay, this morning, my mind went back to the same question: “What Success means to me!”


Why was this woman - this adorable, incredibly patient, mother – sent by God on this earth? What is her mission? Has she been ‘faithful’ to the mission assigned to her by God? And, yes, is she a Successful woman? A Successful mother?...





These questions flashed through my mind 


in such rapidity… 


that, it had to empty my mind 


of all the junk I had stored, so far… 


yes, all in the name of ‘Success’!






 

















The day has ended… it is dark outside. The question still haunts me:

“What Success means to me!”


My heart is extremely peaceful… and, I know the reason: 

I, too, have been ‘faithful’ to the mission I have been sent for… 
 
Yes, by God!




GERALD D’CUNHA

Pics.: Vivek D'Cunha


Comments

Prakash Mishra said…
Wow!!! I never thought this way, ever before!!!
Thank u.

Prakash
Jaypee4u.blogspot.com said…
Great introspection... There are many instances in life where acceptance of peers / superiors (even loved ones) has taken prime position than being faithful.... I guess appreciating the above philosophy Would contribute to whether we are confined to This world or stay contended... JP
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Praksh,

Love,

GERRY
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Yes Jaypee, there is truth in what u have said... Keep giving me these insights.

Thanks a lot,

Love,

GERRY

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...