THE REAL CHAMPIONS















Who won the IPL trophy, last night?


Who were the Champions?


Like millions over the world, I too was glued to TV, last night. And, like everyone else, I too enjoyed the contest… Yes, the clash of the Titans, the nail-biting thriller!


I was rooting for Chennai Super Kings. Even till the end, I wanted them to win… and, I hoped. Along with every twist and turn, my heart too experienced the heat and the chill. And, in the end, when they lost, my heart slipped into a gloom!


The other fans of CSK too experienced this… The gigantic Chennai stadium, which was packed to the brim till minutes ago, looked, literally, deserted at the time of Presentation ceremony! Their coaches, the players, and even the ground staff seemed tensed. Even the winning side KKR’s charismatic and otherwise a live-wire, Shah Rukh Khan, his little daughter Suhana, his beautiful wife Gauri… KKR’s die-hard fan, Usha Uthup, their brave Captain, Gambhir, almost all their players, their tough coaches, including Wasim Akram… Yes, they all panicked even till the end! 


The only persons who enjoyed every bit of the match, without getting swayed like me and others, seemed to be those fun-loving commentators – Harsha, Danny Morrison, Ravi Shastri and the rest…  the irrepressible Sidhu, Sameer, Gaurav and, of course, those lovely ladies with mikes. I don’t know about the cheer girls. I don’t know about the bookies. I don’t know about the officials…



I know of some, who, in my eyes, were the real winners, last night. Here are they... the Champions!


Captain Cool – Dhoni. It is a mystery as to how he can maintain his grace and composure even in such high-voltage situations. Yes, I just cannot understand this mystery called M.S. Dhoni! Each time I watch him handle such a situation,  I come out simply inspired! He, to me, shall always be the true Champion, whether in victory or in defeat!


SRK, did not sit for second, last night! He was constantly on the edge... was completely involved, passionate, tensed… At one stage, when his ship was going down, he pulled his scared daughter and kept her in his embrace… I choked! Then, after the victory, when he was talking to the media, surrounded by his family and close friends, he apologized for his misbehavior on MCA grounds a week ago. His human side was complete by now: that night, it was ugly, as any human’s could be… This night, it was grace personified. After the resounding victory, he chose to be repentant… He owned up his mistake. I have often, disliked his over-the-top style. But, last night, I just couldn’t control the lump in my throat! I admired him, immensely… It takes strength of your character to own up your mistakes and apologize… yes, to do that before your own little children… and yes, before the whole world!


On the other end of the spectrum, there was another Champion: the faceless owner* of CSK! I kept asking in my mind, “Who is he?”… “Where is he?”… “Why are the cameras not showing him… his moods?”


Every team had their rich and  flamboyant owners coming on before the world… I was unable to find the one who owned CSK!


Or, was I just blind!





I like the idea of ‘playing low-key’… 


Last night, I adored the owners 


of such a brilliant team for doing exactly that. 

 Yes, it takes your character strength to do that!





 

So, who were the real Champions, last night?


I am still asking!

 
* I have used singular, here.











GERALD D’CUNHA

Pics.: Gloria Pinto






 

Comments

HARISH SURATKAL said…
Never thought, one could pick up this much by just watching a match! Lovely! Inspiring! Keep it up, friend.

Harish
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Harish,

Love,

GERRY
LONA said…
Liked it. Thanks.

Lona
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Lona,

Love,

GERRY

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...