THE SAME RAINBOW...


















I have taught for over thirty years. And, I believe, I have taught with all my love and passion. I, always, wanted to be a teacher… And, all these years, I have been only that: a teacher.


Yes, as a teacher, I have to teach all kinds: the best of the lot and the worst of the lot. Many of my students have topped in their exams… and many have tanked. So many have risen to great positions in life… and so many are still stuck somewhere, limping or wasted. Some, when they meet me after years and years, hug me and tell what a difference I have made in their lives… And, some, when we cross our way, don’t even remember that I was their teacher once! Some, even after studying here, under me, for five-long years, give me a feeling that what a drudgery the herd-mentality can  breed in life!... While, some, even though they were with me for a week or a month – make me feel how inspiring, how special some relationships can be!


Right from the day one of my teaching, one thing was clear to me: that I would not teach my students for their exams… I would not be obsessed with their marks… I wouldn’t even ask them about their marks. I would rather endeavor to ignite a thirst for learning in them, I would help them believe in themselves, their potentials… and, by that, help them to be self-starters… to be in charge of their own fate.


For all these years, I have done what I have believed in: Teaching and Learning for Life!


Marks have never been the primary objective. I have seen them as only the by-product of one’s dedicated work.


Do parents and students believe in this philosophy?


Yes, most of them do. Some don’t. Rather, they won’t!


When results are out, some call up, some come and see me. They are so excited about their best performance. “Sir, I got 100, 99, 98… 95!” I really feel happy for them… Proud for being their teacher. But, what leaves me perplexed is the thought of those who haven’t fared well in their exams… 70, 60, 50, 40… and, some, who even have failed! How do I feel about them?


I always ask this question: “Have I not taught all of them?... Yes, in the same class room, under the same lights, on the same benches, through the same board, and with the same love, commitment and passion?” I keep asking this to me: “If I have not been partial to any of them, then, how come some shine and some shrink?”


Often, it is tempting – and yes, very fashionable and ego-boosting – to trumpet before the world – “Hark! Hark! Hark! Five of my students are rankers… First in University, first in College… or first wherever!” It helps sell myself as a teacher. It gives a strange kick to my ego.


But, then, why don’t I talk about the ones who have just managed to pass, or those who have failed? Were they not my own students… Rather, was I not their teacher as well?


But, I don’t tell the world about that. I hide. 


That’s been the sad story – of teaching in this world where a teacher’s efficiency is often directly linked to his students’ marks. It takes unusual inner strength to keep teaching casting aside this buffoonery.


“It is you who make the difference… Not your teacher,” I keep reminding my students, “If you are ready – if your hearts are thirsty and minds are fertile – I will surely make a difference. Otherwise, I am sorry, my dear young ones.”


Is that not true?


How can any teacher make a difference, unless the student is ‘ready’? Yes, I constantly try to bring this readiness in him. But, then, that again, is not unless he gives his consent.


That’s why, it is often said: “A teacher appears… when student is ready!”






The same Sun shines on all of us…


The same Moon smiles for all of us…


The same Stars twinkle for all of us…


The same raindrops fall on all of us… 


Yes, the same Rainbow looms large with hope… 


Before all of us!


Then, why, in Life, some of us shine…


 and, some of us shrink?














There is a beautiful Parable of Jesus Christ. I wish to connect it to what I want to convey, today.



“A farmer went out to sow his seed.  As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up.  

Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow.  But, when the Sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root.
 
Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants.  

Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.




Whether the ‘Seed’ in this Parable is ‘the wisdom of God’ or ‘the wisdom of a teacher’ – frankly, it should not make any difference. If God is everywhere, He is, most certainly, there in a teacher like me, too!


At the end of this inspiring Parable, Jesus tells:

“Whoever has ears, let them hear!”


May I end my Post, too, with these words?




GERALD D’CUNHA

Pics.: Raj Dhage Wai


Comments

Niranjan said…
Motivating and direct. Niranjan
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Niranjan,

Love,

GERRY

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...