PEACE IN THE MIDST OF WAR...




 “Fear exists only in relationships!”
























I came across this expression, many years ago, in one of Jiddu Krishnamurti’s books. He urges us to 'examine' our relationships... with everything within us and without. 


Yes, our relationship with people in our lives is an obvious relationship. It brings about attachment… And, we do not want to lose these people… Yes, we fear the loss of their love.


Next, our relationship with the stuff that we possess – our houses, our cars, our investments, our gold, our bank balance. The moment we possess them, we are attached to them… We do not want to lose these possessions… Yes, we fear  losing what we possess.


Then, there is another kind of relationship: our relationship with our ideas, opinions, and beliefs. The moment we form them in our minds, it brings forth attachments… and, we invest a great deal of energy defending them, holding on to them. Yes, we fear losing what we ‘own’ in our minds, what we hold on to… our ‘self-perceived’ power, the sense of security... by holding on to them. 




All arguments, all conflicts, all wars, destruction and downfalls have their seed in our attachments to people, things, ideas, opinions or beliefs.


The worst of these conflicts goes on in the silent recesses of our own minds. Fear brings forth worry, sadness and anger… It consumes us with restlessness, constantly keeping us engaged in battle within…


So, when I experience any sort of fear, where should I shift my search light?


Today, I felt strong – even more convinced than ever before – for what the famous thinker, Jiddu Krishnamurti, had said:

“Fear exits only in relationships!”












Living in this world may be impossible for any of us without establishing relationships with people, things and ideas, opinions and beliefs. Yes, we may argue with ourselves, try to console ourselves. Krishnamurti only draws our attention to a reality… and, helps us ‘see’ it. And, as he famously says, “In the very ‘seeing’ – the choice-less awareness – lies our freedom!”





I can not do away with the people, 


stuff or ideas that I own in my life. 


But, I can ‘see’ the fact that I ‘own’ –


 and am 'attached' to – them. 


I can see the connection between 


what I am attached to and what I fear.

 


I heard the other day another famous thinker, Prem Rawat, telling in the UN: “I am talking about the Peace that exists in the midst of the wars!”


Like them, today, I strongly feel that Peace is possible even though the battle is fierce and on…


Freedom from Fear is possible even though worry, insecurity and anger play havoc in my life…


Yes, because: I am able to ‘see’ this reality with all my guards down! 



Lotus needs the muck, the ugliness – to rise up... in all its glory!




GERALD D’CUNHA


Pics.:







Comments

Meera Menon said…
Very thoughtful post. Thanks.. Meera
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thank u Meera, Love... GERRY
Jiten Lal said…
Loved it. Brilliant.

- Jiten

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...