THE 'EXTRAS', AS WELL...










Often, I watch Film-award shows on TV. The Producer or Director or the Actor, who wins an award, in his acceptance speech, goes about thanking those who made it possible. Yes, the ones who really mattered… without whose support, it would not have been possible to achieve the acclaim, the award. 


But, I wonder: Is it really possible to thank on stage ‘everyone’ who mattered? The make-up staff, or Spot Boys, or the Catering guys, or the drivers who ferry you up and down with your insane schedule… What about those faceless ‘extras’? The maid at home who ensures that you are not caused any inconvenience? And, there are many, many more… who matter, who hold the wheel together and keep it going … who are the ‘unsung heroes’ in your success story… And, yes, you just don’t remember them, on that glittering stage, when you accept your ‘trophy’!


Life is a story. Yes, my life is a beautiful story… and, everyone here matters… to make my Life story a great success…


Even before I left home this morning, the milk-man delivered milk at our door and the newspaper boy dropped the newspaper… The maid servant  came in time to make hot rotis and the there was my wonderful wife around to help me go about my things smoothly… The autowala was an unknown entity… he ensured that I was reached here in time… The Power company, Cell-phone and Internet service, the BMC water-supply and even the sweeper who came and picked the garbage from outside my office – everyone has contributed to my day’s success today… thereby, to my Life… its success story. Yes, every one matters – even the ones who constantly harass me, the ones who try to pull me down, and the ones who add misery to my life… Yes, are they not important to my story – Life story? Yes, the Hero and the Heroine are as important as the Villain, the Vamp and the Clown. The light men, make-up men, the spot boys… the catering hands and the extras… the show needs all of them…


My story is incomplete without all of them…


My success needs them…





I need to, therefore, thank them… 


the Hero and the Villain alike, 


the extras, as well!




Today, this thought had surged, suddenly, in my soul:


Why don’t I thank all of them… and, why don’t I do it often, and enough?



GERALD D’CUNHA

Pics.: Prajakta


Comments

Waman said…
Simple but profound!

.. Waman
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Waman,

Love,

GERRY
Anonymous said…
Great article and I am inspired. Thanks. Kishore

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...