SEVEN-MILLION WONDERS


















 
“There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child…

There are seven million.”


Of late, I find myself reminding my young-students about the three pillars of learning: Curiosity, Trust and Risk.


Curiosity is the most important pillar… the corner-stone. Every piece of learning starts from this… for every one of us… and, it starts when we are little babies and lasts a lifetime… Perhaps, that’s why it is called the ‘childlike curiosity’… If we are eager to learn, all our lives, we are expected  to be little children… We are expected to be struck with wonder… The sense of wonder…


Lee Ann Womack sings in her beautiful song- ‘I Hope You Dance’:


“I hope you never lose your sense of wonder…


I hope you still feel small standing beside the ocean…”



Imagine, learning without this childlike curiosity… this sense of wonder. Imagine gazing at a star-studded night with a heart bereft of awe… Imagine standing beside the glorious ocean unable to feel small...!


Sometimes, I feel like screaming, standing alone under God’s gigantic canopy-of-golden-stars:


 “O Lord, please keep me eternally struck with wonder… eternally feeling small before your infinite vastness… eternally childlike…”

Similarly about the second pillar of learning – Trust.


How can learning ever take place if we are unable to trust in our own instincts? The gut feelings - the hunches - come when we deeply trust in our own instincts… The more we trust in our instincts, the more we are able to learn and absorb…


Whenever someone tells me, “Go by your gut,” I do realize that he is urging me to trust my innate creative hunches… He is urging me to build more and more of this strength… and, thereby, build more and more learning ability.


Imagine being blessed with the finest teachers and the choicest privileges in life but unable to trust in one’s gut-feelings, unable to muster enough trust to go by the gut…


Yes, it is nothing short of a curse in life!


Finally, the third pillar – Risk. No teacher can teach us till we take those risks, till we attempt to ‘do’. It is by attempting to do over and over again, that we develop self-confidence… Learning is almost an impossible proposition till we take our risks, till we ‘do’,  inspired by our hunches…


Therefore, imagine the quality of learning when we do not take enough risks, when we fail to act on our hunches, our inspirations and gut-feelings.


I have been teaching young-ones over three decades now… Only to come closer to the truth, that unless the three pillars stand erect in the hearts of my students, it is just not possible for me to teach them… 

When the pillars stand erect, 
 the student is ready…
And, lo, the teacher appears!

Did I say, “Of late, I find myself reminding my students…” Or, did I mean I find me reminding myself?


Whichever way, let my eyes be able to see those seven-million wonders … and, not just seven!



GERALD D’CUNHA


Pic.: Vivek D'Cunha

Comments

Pooja Manik said…
Loved the title: Seven-Million wonders!

.. Pooja
Anonymous said…
A must read for all students and teachers!!! Sunil
Bharat Mehta said…
Keep writing sir. Bharat

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...