BUT, MOST OF ALL, YOU ARE MY BEST FRIEND
















The way a tree drops its leaves, the way a snake drops its skin and the way the Sun drops its intensity when night falls, our hearts, too, drop their aggression as we steadily move towards our own sun-sets…


Yes, in Youth, we rarely realize this truth: that, we all age; that, our bodies wrinkle and our looks fade… that, our hearts quietly long to be anchored… that, they search in our life-partners for our best friend… our best companion.


Each wedding anniversary, I seriously think, is a quite reminder about the above reality… The time to whisper with quite dignity and grace: “Dear, you are my anchor in Life’s ocean.”


In fact, this longing for an anchor in Life’s ocean is nothing but the deep longing of our hearts to find in our life-partners our best friend, our best companion. Each passing year makes this longing only deeper and more intense… 


There is a beauty beyond skin…


There is a love beyond lust…


And, there is that best friend beyond all the rest…




Like a river which ceaselessly goes in search of its resting place, the sea… our hearts ceaselessly go in search of the resting place called – The Best Friend in our life-partners. Yes, I do feel more and more convinced, as each year rolls by, that – to be sheltered in Life’s best companion - is the ultimate longing of our hearts.


As I pen these lines, my heart can feel the power of the words… An old county-song by one of my favorites, Don Williams, makes my heart sing along:









You placed gold on my finger
You brought love like I've never known
You gave life to our children
And to me, a reason to go on.

Chorus:
You're my bread when I'm hungry
You're my shelter from troubled winds
You're my anchor in life's ocean
But most of all, you're my best friend

When I need hope and inspiration
You're always strong when I'm tired and weak
I could search this whole world over
You'd still be everything that I need.

Repeat Chorus twice




GERALD D’CUNHA


Pic.: Vivek D'Cunha


Comments

Nupur Bhandari said…
Magical!!! thanks. Nupur
Anonymous said…
What a lovely post sir!!! Melted!!!!!! Neena
Meet Sharma said…
Keep writing ur beautiful posts Gerry. Love them !
.... Meet
Anonymous said…
Made me cry! Dreamy!..... Benny

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...