THE COFFIN CALLED - 'MY SECURITY'










I was in Pune, some two weeks ago. As I was about to get into my friends’ car, I received a phone call. The lady, on the other end, spoke in a stylish accent and told me who had referred her to me. A doctor friend of mine it was; so, I lent her my ears.



“Mr. D’Cunha, I wish to meet you and discuss with you something very important to you,” the lady said with loads of conviction, “May I know when will it be convenient for you?”



“Ma’am, can you please let me know what is that about?” I asked the lady.



“Something really very important Mr. D’Cunha, trust me,” I was told, “We can discuss this over when we meet up.”



“Still ma’am, you will be coming from far and it is extremely hot outside,” I said to the lady with my sincere feelings, “It is always best to know what’s the subject of discussion, so that we can save each other’s time.”



The lady reluctantly let me know that she wanted to discuss about my financial security. That, she had some excellent insurance-cum-investment plans… That, I would be surprised to see those products etc., etc…



Well, I knew that even before it had come from the lady’s mouth… So, I courteously let her know that I had already done enough of insurance and investment things and I had no additional income to invest at all. I hoped the lady would understand that she was wasting her time if she pursued further as I had opened my heart out and told her that I had no extra income to invest. I hoped she would leave me alone…



“That’s okay Mr. D’Cunha,” the lady did not want to leave me alone; “I just want to show you something.”



“Show what ma’am?” I asked her, “We will be simply wasting our time.”



“I would not see it that way, Mr. D’Cunha,” the lady was trained in the art of objection-handling; “I look forward to meet people like you.”



Well, I was not flattered at all. She would come and waste my time and her time, both… I knew that. Still, I was not trained in the art of snubbing or shooing off people. So, I did the way I was prompted by my own heart.



“Ma’am, we will do one thing,” I told her, “This Sunday, we will be having a wonderful Workshop on ‘Values and Conflicts’ at our place. It will be conducted by a well-known trainer. Come; you will enjoy the programme; and, after the programme, probably, we can talk for half-an-hour.” However, I added this clear clause: “But, ma’am, please remember, I will not be interested in buying any insurance or investment products… You should not expect it from me; is it okay?”



“I have already told you Mr. D’Cunha,” the lady was clear on this, “It will not be about business.”



On the following Sunday, the lady appeared ten minutes before the programme. My mind was preoccupied with our Workshop… and her mind was preoccupied with her hidden agenda. She tried her best to touch upon my uncertain tomorrows… my fast moving age, shrinking fortunes, mounting education costs of my only son, the health issues and the mind-blowing costs… and, all these she tried to remind me of in five to ten minutes even though she knew that she was hitting her head against a hard wall… And, even though I had told her not to push it on me.





Now, all that I told the lady was this: 

“Ma’am, just chill; in a while, 

the Workshop will start, just enjoy.”




After the two-hour Workshop, as I had promised the lady, I had to sit back for another half-an-hour…



But, to discuss what?



When the lady, all over again, began to fog before my mind the gory images of my uncertain future and the urgency with which I should secure myself… I only felt pity for her…



“Ma’am, I told you that I have done fairly good arrangements about my family’s financial security,” I firmly and gently told her. I continued, “I teach, I write, I train… I have been doing it for over three decades with just a-word-of-mouth publicity… I have enough confidence in me that I can continue to do it for many more years… Is that not my security?”



“But sir, age is catching up… You won’t be able to work the way you have been doing all these years…” the lady’s gramophone was playing the same record!



“Ma’am, what I am reaping today is the harvest of the seeds I had sown - with diligence, hope and faith - when I was still a young-man. The Destiny has not betrayed me… And, what I am doing now - so diligently, passionately and with all my heart and hope – will, certainly, come to my rescue in the years of my dwindling energy… My years of writings, my God-given gifts of teaching, helping and touching lives… Tell me, who will rob them away from me? Tell me, how much will I need to live a decent life in the years to come? Tell me, even if I get that so-called projected-and-assured-monthly-income which you are promising me, will I be really secure? Tell me, where does my security lie?”



Finally, I asked her this: “Tell me ma’am, honestly, who is secure at this stage – you or me?”



It was the last nail to go down to seal the coffin called – ‘My Security’!



GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Rajiv Sharma




Comments

Sheena D'Sa said…
Lovely! Sheena
Nirmala Raju said…
Security is a big illusion!
... Nirmala
Anonymous said…
Inspiring as ever. Loved it. Munna
Naresh Nanda said…
Thanks for this amazing post. Kiran

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"WE CHOOSE OUR JOYS AND SORROWS LONG BEFORE WE EXPERIENCE THEM."

WHEN A BIRD IS ALIVE, IT EATS ANTS... WHEN THE BIRD DIES, ANTS EAT THE BIRD

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...