MY FRIEND, CHARITY, ALWAYS, BEGINS AT HOME



















I was talking to someone, last evening. There was this line I had unwittingly used during our discussion:



“I want to help someone. But, I fail to notice that, this ‘someone’ is there right at my own home!”



What I was trying to convey to the person was the old reminder:





“My friend, charity, always, begins at home!



Your bed-ridden dad is calling you – his wet bed-sheets need to be changed…



Your wife wants a listening ear… Or, your hubby wants a quite moment with a cup of tea…



Your young-daughter likes some polite words from you… Or, your young-son needs from you some more trust in him…



Monsoon is just some days away… Your maid-servant is gripped with worries about the leaking roof of her hut… Perhaps, she needs some cash, a soft loan…



Your five-year old wants your attention…



Your sister wants you to forgive her for marrying against your wish…



Your brother, too, wants to patch-up with you, make peace…



Your over-affection for pets has caused grave inconvenience for your immediate neighbors…



Your watchman, who earns only Rs. 3,000 a month for his 12-hour night-duty, has three a young-son, two young-daughters and a sick wife at home…



So, my friend, before you try to reach out to the needy world outside… please try to reach out to the world right at your arm’s length… Begin your charity from where you stand… and, do it right away!




Our idea of charity is very romantic one… When our charity makes news, it gives us a great kick… Sadly, most of us are caught-up in such a mindset…



We are blind to the needy who is right next to us, right under our own roof… and, we are obsessed with the ideal of making a difference ‘there outside’!



It is an illusion!



“Let you left hand not know what your right hand gives,” Christ had counseled us to do charity quietly…



“God doesn’t want you to do great work; He wants you to do small work with a great heart,” Mother Teresa would often remind all of us.



As I unwittingly said, last evening, in my conversation, ““I want to help someone. But, I fail to notice that, this ‘someone’ is there right at my own home!”, actually, I was reminding myself about the old wisdom about charity…



“Do it quietly… Do it right from your home… 

And, yes, yes, do it with a great heart!”



GERALD D’CUNHA



Pic.: Vivek D'Cunha



Comments

Anonymous said…
Very difficult to resist the temptation. Charity is loud! Good post. Jumani
O.K. Lal said…
quiet one is prefered. Thanks. O. K. Lal

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...