BEING KIND TO ONESELF















“Life hands us opportunities at every turn to get over ourselves,
to get outside ourselves, to wake up from our bad dreams
and realize that really lovely things are happening all the time.”

-      Shauna Niequist
-       
“Think it’s a bad dream, and move on.” Has anyone tried to counsel you with these words? Or, have you tried to counsel someone with these words?

Most probably, the answer is ‘Yes’! And, yes… Most probably, that good counselor is none but your own conscious self!

There are so many episodes in my life, which I wish I hadn’t experienced at all. But, the truth is, that I had experienced them. Though those episodes are long over, they have left behind some traces, deep in my mind and, now and then, I find myself overwhelmed by their unpleasant memories…

I think, it’s not a unique experience with me alone. We all have our own shares of pleasant and unpleasant memories buried deep inside our subconscious minds. Despite our conscious attempts to make peace with them, often, these memories – particularly the unpleasant ones – show up and, make us uncomfortable with ourselves, for a while…

Interestingly, this happens in our waking hours… These are the nightmares we see in our day time!

Again, am I alone in this? Hope, I am not…

So, in my conscious mind, I hear this good counsel, “Think it’s a bad dream, and move on!”

In Life, we cannot undo the clock… What has happened has happened. Some of our decisions do go wrong, some of our relationships do turn sour and some of our behaviour does go wrong… And, when we realize our mistakes, we also realize, that we cannot undo them. But, thanks to that shrill voice inside us, we learn to accept those unpleasant experiences as part of our spiritual growth… and try to move on in life, putting these episodes behind as our bad dreams!




Being kind to oneself is a conscious act of self-care. Self-acceptance and self-forgiveness are just impossible without this quiet act of kindness to self.


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Anil Bedi

Video: Neil Diamond - BE/FullHDPro

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...