THE SMELL OF MY EMPTY HAND




























“How we behave toward cats here below
determines our status in heaven.”

 – Robert A. Heinlein

In the staircase of the building where I live, there is a cat who has just delivered a couple of babies. She has occupied a tiny corner of the staircase on one of the floors… The household, that feeds this cat and her babies some milk or some food, is her – and her babies’ – annadhata. Every time I pass by this cat and her babies, I feel guilty that I don’t do what those neighbours of mine do… So, to cover up my guilt, I stop for a while near the cat and her babies and offer my empty hand… The cat stretches her face close to my hand to smell it… It’s the smell of the food I have just eaten at my home… But, that seems to make the cat a little happier... She offers herself to me for a little caressing… I can feel how much she loves it! And, then, I move on with my life!


Today morning, the man of that kind household happened to see me caressing the cat and her babies. Instinctively, I said, “I really appreciate what your house does to this cat and her little babies.”


“They don’t need much, unlike us,” the man played it low, “except a little food and a little love.”


I choked when I heard, “Unlike us!”


How much more we all need… And, how empty can we all feel!



GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: fotografierende

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...