LOVE IN THE TIME OF CORONA













“I don’t believe in God,
but, I am afraid of him.”

-      Nobel Laureate Gabriel Gracia Marquez

I have come to work. But, if I am told to go back home, I will…

Yes, I will co-operate with the authorities to ‘fight’ the present situation. Perhaps, I can afford to go back home, even though the nature of my work – classroom teaching – makes it difficult for me to work from home. Anyway, I will still figure a way out to help my students, sitting at home…

But, is that the answer to ‘fight’ this virus… rather any virus, for that matter?

I think, we all have lost our collective ability to ‘fight’. We have become too ‘soft’, too ‘spoon-fed’ and, thereby, too ‘vulnerable to being ‘infected’ by all viruses, including the deadliest of all – ‘Fear’!

Yesterday, I had to tell this to the doting parents of some of my students, when they were telling me: “Sir, they will have to commute by autos”… “Sir, they will have to commute by buses… trains… So, we are scared!”

I couldn’t convince them beyond a certain point… “Thy will be done,” I conceded!

The young kids around me haven’t seen some of the things we kids had seen, at their age, back in our village: Lepers, Elephant Legs, Social isolation (a different kind of Quarantine!) of Brahmin widows, Shooing away and banishment of people of ‘low’ castes and tribes… The food scarcity during the Indo-Pak wars, the famines, the droughts, the Cholera, even the ghost of Small Pox… the cyclones and the earthquakes… the communal riots…

No, nobody wants these things, Sir. I know, that there were even worse disasters in the centuries before us… and, people who suffered did say: “No, nobody wants these things!”

But, then, here it is, today – the feared Corona… bringing the world on its knees!

But, I doubt, the world ever learns anything from any disasters…

Sorry for sounding so pessimistic!

The watchmen, the haatgaadi fruit and vegetable vendors, the rickshaw-walas, the daily wage-workers… who have their families to fend just as you and I have ours – yes, how will they sit at home and work?

To me, this thought is very disturbing!

But, then, whether you are a highly-qualified, a well-placed and a well-paid and a globe-trotting individual – or a haatgaadiwala or rickshaw-wala – it just doesn’t count in times like these… Everyone gets swept away…

Don’t want to believe this?

Then, read this ‘humbling’ agony of my friend, who sent this piece to me early this morning:  


Love in the Time of Corona
- Our Saga

My husband and I landed at 9.15 am
(before time!) in New Delhi from
Frankfurt, this morning.
Joined Queue for Fever check-up
= 1 hour.
Then submitted self-declaration forms
where they asked us to "surrender" passports
= 2 minutes.
Then, collection of passports for Immigration
= 2 hours.
Immigration Q
= 15 minutes
(Again passports taken away!).
Return of passports before bags
= 2 hours.
Baggage collection
= 5 minutes.

Boarded bus for Quarantine Centre
beyond Pataudi (Again passports taken away)
= 1 hour.
Drive to Quarantine Centre, SGT Hospital, Gurgaon
= 2 hours.
Assigned Dormitories to share (30 #s per dorm)
for 2-week observation
= 10 minutes.
We refused, insisting max double-occupancy.
Stalemate…
On checking, we find
dirty linen, stinky loos + mosquitoes...
Nothing to eat or drink so far,
not for love or money…
It's past 7.00 pm now, and we are hungry
since airline breakfast at 6.00 am…
Intermittent fasting!
Tea + biscuits appear,
Medical Superintendent disappears!
We are in house arrest, Cops all around…
Not allowed to cross road to food thelas!

I take charge, rallying the 6-busloads
to join forces…
Voices, tempo and tempers are raised.
And, Medical Superintendent reappears
with Gurgaon DM in tow.
They announce that we will get our passports
post self-declaration (again!)
Food packets appear at 9.00 pm.
Food consumed and declarations done
by 10.00 pm.
No checking or verification of declarations…
Passports are returned for the 3rd time today!
Finally at 11.00 pm, we are free to go home!!

Booked Uber, just boarded
and started typing this message…
Eye-witness account, statement of facts,
Sans learning to accept the truth:
‘We are just humans’!

Final Fact: at each and every stage of this saga,
we were kept in the dark about the next step…
And I suspect, so were our handlers.

Reached home to Noida at midnight .

(Sent from my iPhone)


There was this young boy working in my office for many years. His mother, who had never seen the corridors of a school, would remind her children till she died after suffering a great deal due to her failed kidneys:

“Jahan sab, wahan hum!”

Don’t want to believe this, too?

I don’t know why my friend chose to baptise her traumatic piece as:

“Love in the Time of Corona – Our Saga’!

Perhaps, she was inspired by Nobel Laureate Gabriel Gracia Marquez’ novel – ‘Love in the Time of Cholera’!







GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Adobe Stock Images
 Video: Carroll Roberson

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...