THE GULF-RETURNED

This is an interesting story -- with some strange co-incidents -- and, they had to unfold, mysteriously, on the same day.

The day was today.

I said 'mysteriously'-- because, *Salim and *Pravin (*not the real names), both my ex-students, had come to see me today. Consider this:

-- Both graduated from my institute about five years ago;
-- Both had finacial difficulties at home.

-- Salim was not comfortable with any fee-concession or a waiver; he was very
dignified, had high self-esteem. Thus, he would meet me privately, those days,
explain to me his home-situation, take a few weeks or months more to clear off
his dues. But, clear off he would, like a gentleman. Moreover, he would express
his gratitude, profusely, and do it quite often. After he passed out, he
kept referring my institute to his friends and, also, would speak very highly
about me to them. That was his way of repaying his debt to his teacher.

-- On the other hand, Pravin and his parents, would meet me, those days, with their
sob-tale, and convince me that they were unable to pay any thing. And, the
entire fee was waived off. In fact, Pravin studied in my institute, free-of-
charge, for solid four years!
But, unlike Salim, the words of gratitude wouldn't flow so easily from
Pravin's mouth; nor from his parents'. Maybe, they thought it was
their 'right' ... that, they were 'entitled' to it. Any way, I did not keep any
score-card, any expectations. What was done by me was done in good faith and with
good intention. I did not judge; I left it at that.
Pravin did come to visit me a couple of times after he passed out. Each time, to
let me know about his 'progress', his 'success'. And, each time he would
proudly 'boast' about his salary, his incentives, his lofty plans for the
future ... and I would listen. Maybe, that was his way of repaying the debt of his
teacher!
But, unlike with Salim's case, I was unimpressed here ... not touched... Leave
alone 'feel proud' or 'feel happy' for him. In fact, I would feel annoyed and
angry with his attitude.

Today, as I said at the outset, destiny desired that both these ex-students of mine should visit me. Myteriously, both are currently employed with big firms in the Gulf countries. Salim in Dubai; and Pravin in Saudi Arabia.Salim came with two of his former classmates (all of them my students)... and he came with a small token of love: a fine perfume. As usual, he reminded me of the good-old-days, and my gesture that had touched him. They remained in my office for about half-an-hour, and I must tell, that we all felt so nice. While they were leaving, I handed each one of them with a copy of my latest book, and all of them promised me of their 'support' for our activities.

Pravin entered an hour later. This time, he came to blow his trumpets even louder. He kept talking about his 'fat salary', his rapid rise in the organisation, and how other companies are trying to lure him with 'mind-blowing' amounts! Never for a while, he enquired about me, my family... And, never did I expect him to thank me
for whatever he had achieved today. And, a gift from him? Oh, forget it!

He was there in my office for about twenty minutes. I felt repelled, and when he left, my hands did not reach for my latest book. "I would rather give that copy to my faithful maid servent -- that illiterate 'moushi'." Yes, frankly, that's how I felt.

Incidentally, our 'moushi' was doing the 'the annual special cleaning' of our office.
There was a chair, which I had not used for two years, just because, a screw had come out. There was an old computer printer(totally out-dated)- lying in the pile for more than three years! And, there was this Philips three-in-one, untouched for one year, just because its C.D. player had some minor problem, and the cassettes section needed some cleaning. The radio section was working great ... But, I never played it as I was more comfortable enjoying music on my comp.

So, after Pravin left my office, something inside me compelled me, to instruct 'moushi' to sell off the old printer to a 'bangarwala'. She did and got for it Rs. 150/. I said, "Keep it."

Moushi's face lit up. So, did mine.

Then, I called my next-door carpenter and got the screw replaced, and the chair was ready for use, now. "Moushi, this is for you, take it," I said.

Maushi saw me in disbelief. But, then, I only smiled.

"Look moushi," I said. "You take this this music system, too."

She almost fainted!

I showed her how to operate the radio section, surfing through several F.M.stations... Moushi was so happy. And, me too.

I explained to her about the problem that instrument had and promised to pay the repair cost if she wanted it to be repaired.

"Saab, jo mila bahut hua."

As moushi left my office collecting the 'gifts', I felt glad that my two ex-students had visited me, all mysteriously, today.

Perhaps, it was to 'clear off' my own 'cobwebs' about helping others.
And, perhaps, to clear off the mess that had piled up.

In that silence, I thanked both my visitors: Salim and Pravin ... for bringing me this joy of imagining our moushi in her 'little hut' -- sitting comfortably on that chair and enjoying filmy music ... yes, perhaps, as she relished along some 'mast' biryani'!


GERALD D'CUNHA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...