ON THE OHTER SIDE OF THE FENCE

"The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence."

A very old one?

But, whoever coined this line first, he must have been the 'original Guru'!

For me, the old is, truly, gold.

These days, writing my daily notes - the articles for my blog - gives me a tremendous amount of 'high'. Probably, I must have been, sub-consciously, dreaming about it ... It is, certainly, in alignment with my deepest passion: to share my insights with my fellow beings. The blog is just a natural extension, and I have embraced it, happily.

Yesterday, while I was so much charged and busy typing, my student Sameer, called me up:

"Sir, tomorrow is my exam; I have some doubts ... Can I come to you, now?"

I had finished their portion, with a good revision, and asked them to be on their own for at at least ten days before the exam - 'for better or worse' - as I always tell my students. Normally, they understand what I mean by 'for better or worse'. But, some, like Sameer and his mother, don't.

"Beta Sameer, can I help you with your doubts over the phone? You can save time ... Tomorrow is your exam, you see," I said.

"But, sir, there are so many of them. I don't think it is possible over the phone," Sameer informed me.

"But, Beta, I have taught you so well, revised it so nicely ... I have told you to be on your own, to gain your own confidence ... Now, how come you have piled up so many doubts for the last minute?" I was irritated.

I was in a 'flow', which was so blissful; I felt Sameer was 'encroaching' upon my privacy, he was ruining my bliss.

"Please sir, give him some time." It was Sameer's mother, this time, on the other end.

"Let him come ma'am," I sheepishly murmured, not having the guts to ruffle the feathers of a 'mother hen'.

By the time Sameer arrived, which was after twenty minutes, I had gone through my mental dialogues completely. Starting from Resistance, irritation, anger, blame, and even punishment and victimisation - every possible thought passed through my mind, till the unrest came to settle down in me. When Sameer came, I was ready to help him. He was there with me for two full hours, asking me all the possible 'stupid' doubts under this vast sky ... at times, giving me the feeling that, after months of teaching and revising, he was on 'ground zero'!

But, I wouldn't flare up! I joked with him; I did not blow things up when he failed to answer me for my simplest questions, even after 'clearing his doubts', now, for half a dozen times ... I kept saying, "It's alright; continue." I kept encouraging him, "Sameer, relax; tomorrow, in the exam, write whatever you can ... You will surely get through well."

Sameer was so happy. And, weren't I?

Why do I write my notes on the blog? I am a teacher, and I exist to help people like Sameer. True, Sameer comes from a well-off family, completely pampered and spoilt; and yes, he is used to only 'spoon-feeding', which I totally, and vehemently, detest. Still, consider this episode: I am having a blissful time writing about Life, Joy, Happiness, Success, Proactivity, Tolerance, Patience and all that ... and all that for my students like Sameer ... In the midst of this, Sameer calls up with his request ... I have two options: to stick to my gun, and continue with my blogging, or, to call him over. Imagine what would have happened - and it has happened with me,countless times, before - if I had taken the first route. I would have ruined my own peace; and, not to mention about Sameer's!

My choosing the second route did not happen naturally. I did feel all possible hellish thoughts inside my mind, before the better sense prevailed upon me. By keeping aside my 'heart's desire' for a while - yes, consciously - I not only succeeded in living in harmony with my conscience, but also succeeded in helping a guy like Sameer ...

For better or for worse, for a while, let us not judge!

Many a times, my greatest challenges come in this form. I am talking about the challenges on the way to my own 'personal' and 'spiritual' growth. A question, bluntly, stares before me:

Why can't I seek and experience the same joy and fulfilment that I, so desperately, try to find elsewhere ... by simply doing the thing I am presently doing - in the same enthusiasm, passion and spirit?

Why can't I fully appreciate and relish the grass on this side of the fence?


GERALD D,CUNHA

Comments

Mehul K Bhuva said…
This is a gr8 piece of article...
Keep posting...
Gerald D'Cunha said…
And, you Mehul, keep reading and keep encouraging!

And, how about your writing?

Thanks,

GERRY

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...