THE GANGRENE

Both of us stayed in the same Housing colony; but, we belonged to two different 'camps'.

He belonged to the camp that raised the issue about 'corruption' by our Managing Committee. They circulated dozens of letters among the members accusing the Committee of 'swindling' of funds. And, we thought there wasn't any substance in theirs allegations, that they were only keen to 'throw' the Managing Committee out ... Therefore, we came together - after our every effort to reason out with them failed - to 'expose' them. The things came to a 'dead end', and , eventually, the Administrator came in to run our Society.

We stepped out; the members of the 'terminated' Committee, too, stepped out. But, our 'whistle blowers' are still after the ousted committee's blood. They want to come into the Society so that they can 'recover' the 'lakhs' of rupees of of funds 'swindled by the committee. They are waiting for that day ... with their swords still out!

Early this morning, there was only one auto near our gate. When I was getting in, I saw one of the active members of that camp limping towards the gate, and I asked the autowala to take the auto towards him.

"Thank you," he said, and helped himself in to sit beside me.

"What's the problem?" I enquired about his leg.

"A stepped on a nail, and I had ignored it," he told me.

"When did this happen?" I asked him.

"Almost a month now," he informed.

"My God! A month and still it hasn't cured?" I exclaimed.

"You know I am highly diabetic. I am on Insulin ... in fact, thrice a day ...So, the problem has aggravated," he explained.

"Have you shown to a proper doctor? What about the antiseptic treatment?" I questioned.

"Yea, every thing is being done; but because of my diabetes, the puss is still not getting dried up," he went on. "If it touches the bone, you know they may have to chop off my feet!"

I , almost, froze!

The discussion, thereafter, revolved around diabetes, its cure and how to live with it.

"Mine is hereditary. Both my parents had early diabetes. I have to take so many (showing his fist) tablets, besides the Insulin," he commented. "Now, there is only one thing I can do about it, and that is to live with it."

"That's true," I agreed. "Probably, if we learn to live with it with appropriate changes in our life-styles," I added.

"Where that is possible in a city like ours? The stress is so much, I can not even take a day's rest," he reacted.

"But, sir, what is the other alternative?" I expressed my concern.

"Chod do saab."

I dropped the matter.

"Kya hua, aapka Society ka?" the man-in-pain did not seem mellowed down!

"Chod do saab." I thought, with this, I, too, could make him drop the matter. Of all the things in the world, I did not want to spoil my peace of mind, that too this early morning, discussing about a subject which I was least interested in.

"Abhi jaldi election hone wala hai," he informed me.

"Hone do saab," I responded.

"Dekho saab, hum kisi ko bhi interest nahin hai; lekhin, public ka paisa vaapas milna chahi hai ...Hamara ichcha ye hi hai." Well, he was giving me a very valid reason as to why life in our city was so full of stress.

"Saab, woh public me main bhi hoon; mera bhi paisa hai." I thought that would be good enough.

Where enough? He went on and on to 'prove' that there was 'gross corruption'. That, they wanted 'isaaf, that they would continue to fight for the justice.

"Only if we are able to put behind our issues, forgive and forget, and go ahead, then alone I can see any hope here. If we continue to be adamant, I see only more disaster." I though at least, with that I could end the discussion.

"How is that possible? How can we leave 'corrupt' people like that?" It was clear, that he was still 'fit enough' for Kick-Boxing, despite his broken leg ... and, to the last round!

"Well my friend, if you think that's the best course of action, please continue. To me, only a change in our outlook alone can solve our Society's ills." I had no intention to hurt him more, by 'kicking' - by countering his allegations - which even otherwise did not involve me.

"Saab, aap toh bahut seeda saada insaan hai; aap ko kuch bhi nahin maalum, idhar kya kya ho raha hai." He was still in it.

"Haan saabji, bilkul sahi kaha aapne," I tried to ease his pain.

I instructed the autowala to take the auto till the doorsteps of his shop. "Sambhal ke," I voiced my concern as he took some time to alight, thanking me for the lift.

I, always, knew that diabetes was a genetic disease. That, the best cure for it was a change in our life-styles. But, I did not know, that there was this 'nameless' desease, which is even more complicated, even more genetic, than diabetes.

The puss was just a hearbeat away from the bone!


GERALD D'CUNHA

Comments

Girish Dhameja said…
Even to Lord Ramchandra the people have accused. People come, say something and do something else. They don't even care that what will be affect on the other person. This is also one face of the most adapative creature on the earth called Humans.

Sometimes i also crticize others or fight on small things. After sometime i think the situation could have been handle in much better way.

Sir, We all are made from the same soil beneath our feet we all will turn into same soil then why to fight?????

Thks.
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Hi Girish,

I liked the way you coneyed this simple truth, so beautifully:

'We all are made from the same soil beneatah our feet ...and, we all turn into the same soil.
Then, why fight?"

Yes, 'Why?'

Thanks,

GERRY

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"WE CHOOSE OUR JOYS AND SORROWS LONG BEFORE WE EXPERIENCE THEM."

WHEN A BIRD IS ALIVE, IT EATS ANTS... WHEN THE BIRD DIES, ANTS EAT THE BIRD

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...