THE ART OF THE POSSIBLE

POLITICS.

For many years, I kept guessing: "Why do they call it - 'the art of the possible'?"

About four years ago, in the AGM of our Society, I was unanimously appointed as the 'Returning Officer' for the forthcoming Society elections. Frankly, that's the day I first realised that such a term existed, and it meant: the 'Election Officer'!

Even though I felt highly honoured, I honestly revealed them about my 'ignorance' in all aspects relating to the Society matters. "Don't worry, we are all there to guide you," almost every one assured me. I became the Returning Officer.

And, what an experience that was! What an education!

There were two groups in our Society, and they were at loggerheads ever since the formation of our Society. They accused and abused each other, they fought like sworn enemies ... and, it seemed to all of us, that they were interested only in settling their personal scores. When two elephants fought, grass always lost.

I was 'nice' with both these groups. So, they had no issues with me when my name was proposed.

I am, by my nature, what my wife calls me - 'a stupid idealist', and what some of my friends call - 'a sentimental fool'. So, the moment I stepped into my house, I heard the obvious: "They chose a wrong guy; now, be ready with your neck ... My dear, that's not meant for 'delicates' like you; that's for the 'thick-skinned', the 'hard cores'."

If only I had paid heed to my sensible wife's counsel! But, I dreamt of the day, when all conflicts, all animosity in our Housing complex would be gone, and we all - yes, regardless of our castes, creeds, classes and causes - would, one day, come to stay in the 'paradise' ... Yes, happily ever after!

I got 'kicked', like a foot ball, from both the teams, right from the word 'Go'. I couldn't please any of them. Then, I became tough, spoke tough, acted tough ... and saw to it that the election was conducted in a 'free and fair' manner. They tried to bully me, arm twist me. But, then, by now, I had shown them that there was a 'fighter's streak' running through my veins. They left me alone for some time.

The election was over, peacefully. The ruling party lost, and some 'fresh and clean' young guys came in. But, the old story did not end. On the day of the transfer of charge, when I saw those two 'sworn enemies' still fighting, still reluctant to put behind their 'petty' issues, and see the 'bigger picture' and co-operate with the newly-elected committee -- I not only lost all my cool, I lost all respect to even the decorum, and vent out my anger and frustration, like a raging volcano... all in open, for all to see and hear.

Then, I froze. All went back to their homes -- yes, all the 'warriors'. I was left with only two gentlemen. One of them said, "Why do you get so excited and worked up? It is my Society, too; but, did I lose my head? Look, it's not all that worth."

The other gentleman was a witty one. He said, "My friend, rest asured, that the Sun will come out from the East tomorrow morning, too. You go home and sleep well. Who knows who will wake up along with the sun. None of us is going to take away our 'little huts' when we die." Then, he told me this, "Soon, you will see them glued together, as childhood buddies, and fighting against you and me."

And, how true the prophecy was!

When Mr. Amitabh Bachchan joined politics to lend hand to his friend, Late Mr. Rajiv Gandhi, it was a 'sentimental decision.' Later, he paid a heavy price for it, and resigned. His remark that Politics was a 'cesspool' invited more ire. But, he knew it was, at least to guys like him , and went about doing what he was designed to do by the Nature - 'remarkable acting'.

Mr. Bachchan's close friend, Mr. Amar Sing, is a hardcore politician. Mr. Singh can accuse and abuse Mrs. Sonia Gandhi in the morning, and 'Canonise' her in the evening. While, their supporters, blinded by their loalty, may die of a heart attack fighting and arguing for their leaders!

True, in Politics, no one is a permanent friend or an enemy of any one! And, a short time span like a year, even a month, is a long period, there!

Today, I chose to write on this subject, because, many a times, I do feel desperate, and even guilty, for not taking any 'active role' in the matters of our Society and city. I think in terms of 'ideals', and that's where the seeds of my personal turmoil lie. I have realised that, now. I have realised, also, that there are hundreds and thousands out there, who are interested in such matters, and they are better-equipped mentally and skill-wise than I am. As far as I am concerned, I am of the opinion, that I must do in life, what the Nature has designed me to do. That includes writing and sharing with you my hard-earned insights. Yes, the insights earned even while trying my hand in some 'local', petty politics... which they call, so wisely:

"THE ART OF THE POSSIBLE!"

May the Sun come up in the East, every morning;
And, may the wisdom prevail on me, till it comes down, that:

"I AM NOT THAT SIGNIFICANT AS I THINK MYSELF TO BE, SOMETIMES!


GERALD D,CUNHA

Comments

Dr Dee said…
"Only the trees laden with fruits get hit by Stones".

Keep up the Good work.It is meant to bleed you , but people see it and get inspired for better stuff in Life.

I am one of those few.
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Hey Deepak,

How nice I felt reading from you!
Hope things are going fine out there; pl let us know.

Yes Deepak, 'Only the trees laden with fruits get hit by stones.'

Finally, I have realised, that we are here to carry on with the work which we are 'meant' to!

Our fulfilment lies only in that.

Love to all,

GERRY

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...