THE SPICE OF LIFE

"Mind your language; what do you mean by 'aarayela hai'," Dr. Dastana, aka. Mamu, warns his ward boy. The ward boy has just tried to please his boss, so sincerely, by breaking the bizarre news: Mamu's nemesis, Munna and his sidekick Circuit have entered the hospital with a king-size bed.

Munna is a man with a mission. He has dropped the desire to get married to Mamu's daughter, Chinky, and now obsessed with the desire to marry Dr. Suman. But, not before making Mamu's life miserable. "Vaat lagayega teri," he had vowed ... Like Chanakya.

Long before the movie ends, the frustrated Dr. Dastana - the upright Dean of the prestigious medical college - vows behind the closed door: "Vaat main lagayega teri!"
The very next moment, he beats with both his hands his melonlike head and bemoans, "What am I saying!" Mamu is unable to believe, that he, too, can succumb to such levels.

From a hardcore Gandhian to a hardcore terrorist, from the khamwali bai of Dhanukarwadi to the Dubaiwala bhai, and from the tambaku-chewing chaprasi of the Panchayat office to our sagely PM Mr. Manmohan Singh ... I don't think there is any one around, here or abroad, who has seen both the Munna-Mamu movies and not enjoyed them.

Yes, including their lavishly garnished lingo. Bole to the tapori language!

Some time back, I had been to one of my students' house. They had invited me to see their new house. When I entered their house, the house was already packed with guests. I was introduced to every one by my student, and I made my self comfortable. What shocked me was the way my student's father spoke. There is a 'famous' swear word in our Mumbai tapori language which starts with 'B' (sister). This man was using it as a prefix in almost every sentence that he was speaking. There were men, women and children, besides the family members, and nobody seems to have been offended! The man kept rattling, and others went about their lives as if there was nothing unusual happening around them!

"Maharaj, may I know why are late?" I, often, taunt the young boys who try to make their grand late-entry in my class. And, often, I hurl my missiles towards a young girl with, "Madam, may I have your attention, please."

I know it goes, because I am a teacher. But, I also know that sarcasm is an 'indirect aggression'. Still, I indulge in it!

"Oye, Hero," this is my wife some times. The 'Hero' may be either her shapeless hubby or handsome son!

"Abhe dakkhan," this is my son. The 'dakkhan' has to be, invariably, his 'dumb' mom!

Andrew Symonds, the Australian bowler, was 'disturbed' because our Harbhajan, it seems, had called him a 'big monkey'. The matter went to the Judges. My idol, Tendulkar, was called in to be a witness. Probably, Tendulkar was the only person to have heard what Bhaaji had said. It was not 'big monkey' as alleged by Symonds; instead, it was our own 'teri maaki'!

Believe me, Tendulkar said this before the Judge. The Judge was pleased; but, not Symonds. He is still hurt and still angry ... He still claims, that the 'Turbanator' had hurled on him the 'phoren sledge' - a 'big monkey' and not our 'desi gaali' - 'teri maaki'!

"Cool, Symonds bhai ... Tension nahin lenekha."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...