MY OWN MOMENTS


















Last night, I watched on T.V.  the Oscar-Awards ceremony, with my family. Some of my Hollywood favorites were present: Spielberg, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Oprah, Meryl Streep, George Clooney... and, many more. And yes, there were our own A.R. Rehman and the rich-couple, Anil and Tina Ambani.


Meryl Streep got the Best-Actress Oscar, last night, for portraying the stupendous role as Margaret Thatcher, The Iron Lady. It was her third Oscar... and seventeenth nomination! When this otherwise tough-as-iron lady came on the glittery stage to receive her Golden Trophy, her heart had almost stopped! When she collected herself and spoke, there were tears in my eyes!


The French actor, Jean Dujardin, who bagged the Best-Actor Oscar for his leading role in 'The Artist', was hysterical as he stood there with a note in his hand... His heart pounded so much, that I could sense that, here,  in my drawing room! His eyes welled and his voice cracked... and, yes, his heart was not  normal, last night!


A lot of money, a lot of fame, a lot of power! Is that all what a huge celebrity like Brad Pitt or Spielberg dies for? 


Some days ago, I was watching our own Filmfare Awards. The gracious lady with her inimitable husky voice, Usha Uttup, was declared as the Best Play-back singer. I had always held Usha Uttup to be different from the rest... She had a confidence of her own, the style of her own and the grace of her own. When she sang on Mother Theresa's funeral, (Mother, who was very fond of Usha, lived all her life shying away from the limelight, glitter... interviews, biographies, awards or any sort of glorification... and ruthlessly chose to be focused on her work), my admiration for this vivacious crooner shot up by a hundred notches! It is only when, on that award night, she was called upon to receive her trophy, that  I realized that this tough-looking lady was not even tough as a snowflake!


"After forty-two years of singing... finally, I am able to collect this award... I feel overwhelmed  by the affection and recognition bestowed upon me tonight... Yes, the long waiting is all worth it..." Usha, the strong woman, cried the way no other woman could ever do, there on centre-stage, that night. Yes, in tears and emotions too, Usha was different... a class apart. My admiration jumped up by another dozen notches! Then, this darling sang that award-winning song from the film, 'Saat Koon Maaf'- "daaaRling', as the irrepressible Shah Rukh Khan and Ranbir Kapoor started dancing to this magnificent winner's tunes!


I was choked with emotions along with Usha Uttup. When the entire august audience rose spontaneously to salute this woman with a standing ovation, I too stood in my drawing room.


I had risen on my feet all moved by the power of plain, straight and honest emotions!


Why do we die for a honest recognition of our work, our talents, our skills?


Some claim they don't. 


I say, and with all my honesty and tears, I do.


Last evening, little Yash had directly come from his school - before he could go home - to show to me his Silver Medal in sports at school. This second-standard kid was so thrilled, so proud that he wanted to hear just one thing from this man, whose validation, probably, he values -  "Well done beta... Keep it up!"


Yes, it did matter to this seven-year old... It meant the world!


The Oscar meant the world for Meryl, last night.


The Filmfare award meant the world to our Usha, that night.


My pat on his back, was the world my little Yash had died for, last evening.







And, I have my own moments... 


my own longings for validations


 from those who I I look up to, 


love... 


and value in my life...



Not only do our talents die when we do not receive enough of this sunshine... our hearts, too, do!



GERALD D'CUNHA

Pic.: Vivek D'Cunha


Comments

viva said…
Recognition always inspires me...it motivates me. In other way I also call it as Moral support.Every honest and hard work needs to be recognised.This I learned from you in DAWN CLUB.
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Viva... U r fully right.

Someone had said, "Viva, u wl become a good businessman... when u used to sell those garlands on our NH-17 Highway! Remember?"

In fact, a stranger truck driver he was!!!

Then, imagine the power of recognition!!

Wl somebody recognize this plain truth?

Will?

Thanks,

Love,

GERRY
malavika sen said…
i agree with ur thoughts... it does a lot good to our self-esteem... to our well-being. thanks gerry for the warm writings... keep writing...

... Malavika
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thank u Mala for the comment...

You have shown the connection...

Keep reading...

Love,

GERRY
ranjini.b said…
recognition is perhaps the most vital element which motivates a person2 do better but everytime 1 cant wait4 such external motivation.. one shld b self motivated..
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thank u Ranjini...

Yes, we can not expect positive strokes from outside, always...

There r times we shd hold our own hand and move...

Love,

Sir

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"WE CHOOSE OUR JOYS AND SORROWS LONG BEFORE WE EXPERIENCE THEM."

WHEN A BIRD IS ALIVE, IT EATS ANTS... WHEN THE BIRD DIES, ANTS EAT THE BIRD

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...