"IF YOU COMMIT TO NOTHING, YOU WILL BE DISTRACTED BY EVERYTHING"














Pic.: Ronak D'Souza






“Freedom is not the absence of commitments,
but the ability to choose - and commit myself to - what is best for me.” 



Today is Amitbh Bachchan’s 73rd birthday. Well, I hear him challenge me: “Budda Hoga Tera Baap.”

In fact, my dad died when he was my present age, at 57! And, I do not know about me!

Bachchan went to death-door several times and came back, only to live well.

I have been a die-hard fan of Amitabh Bachchan ever since I first read a small article on him in our High School reading room. I was in ninth standard, then. The movie he was acting in was ‘Bombay To Goa’. Ever since then – some 42 years must be that – my admiration towards him has only on the ascent. I have never seen any other actor – even a character actor – surviving so long in the man-eat-man film industry. Amitabh Bachchan is not admired by guys like me just for surviving so long… but for inspiring awe in our souls.

In this Post, I wish to focus on that one human character-trait – ‘Commitment’.

To me, this quality of our character is so pivotal that it holds the rest of our success-wheel together, and keep it moving superbly. Most of us lack commitment in life. I keep telling my young students that we all are capable of committing ourselves totally for at least one or two things in life. Please note, I said ‘At least one or two things… totally’.

The reason why many of us fall on wayside is just because we do not commit ourselves fully to something in life. Therefore, that famous reminder from the Wise:

“If you commit to nothing, you will be distracted by everything.”

Believe me, you will be…

The wheel won’t hold itself together… It will fall apart.

Today, Amitabh Bachchan is where he is, and what he is – to me – is essentially because of his awe-inspiring character quality – ‘Complete commitment to his craft’.

I know there is much more to to the Legend. But, for his 73rd b'day today, this one is suffice.

Happy b’day sir. May the ’wheel’ continue to hold itself more robust and inspire!



GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...