HOW MANY TIMES MUST THE CANNONBALLS FLY

 



“If war is the answer,

we are asking the wrong question.”

Anonymous

 

I am aware of the ongoing humanitarian crisis in neighbouring Afghanistan. It’s a matter of grave concern for all of us. As we all know, the fire in our neighbour’s house – even if our neigbour is our bitter enemy – is not something we can sleep over, leave alone rejoice over… The fire spreads fast; yes, it does.

So, we are flooded with the news about what’s happening in Afghanistan – and how ordinary citizens, like Indians who had been living in that country for their livelihood, are caught between the crossfire – many of us are hooked on to the TV sets – feeling helpless, anxious, worried and, even angry!

But, what can ordinary citizens like you and I do in a situation like this? Blaming or debating, in my view, is futile. If war could solve this problem, America would have gone home, long ago… The truth is, that you cannot fight fire with fire… You can fight it only with water!

So, while my heart bleeds for the innocent people caught in this unfortunate crossfire, I am, also, aware of my own position… My reactions, blame, fierce debates and anger can only add fuel to this already raging fire… I avoid watching too much of this sad, disturbing news… Not because I am immune, but because I know, that the situation needs ‘water’ – something to cool, something to sooth, something to mend…

As an ordinary citizen, I can pray… I can wish the innocent people good… I can hope for the situation to return to normalcy…

However naïve I may sound, I do not like to pretend, that fire can be fought with fire… that, the war - the gun - is the answer…

Because, as the adage goes, “If war is the answer, we are asking the wrong question.”

May peace return… in our neighbouring land, and, also, in our own hearts!








 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s: kfgo.com

Video: 1. Bob Dylan/Kina Grannis

            2. Chris de Bhurg




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...