WHERE IS YOUR FURNITURE, SIR?

 



“Faith is walking in the dark until you find the light.”

Geraldine Vermaak

 

“When you know what you want, the whole Universe conspires in your favour.”  I have used this statement so often; and I have, also, heard people using it so often. But, if I have to cite  examples, as to how Universe has conspired in my favour through my 63-year-old journey, I can write an entire book on it! So, in this Post, let me cite just one such example…

I must’ve been 22-23 at that time. Fired by Napoleon Hill’s  philosophy – ‘Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve” (‘Think and Grow Rich’) -  I had decided to burn every bridge behind me and focus on only one dream of mine: ‘to start my own teaching space’ – call it a coaching center or a coaching empire, or just ‘tuitions’…

I knew clearly what I wanted… Where I wanted to go. But, I was absolutely new in Mumbai… lived with my hand-to-mouth relatives, had no strings to pull, no  experience of being self-employed, and no money for my next meal even … All that I possessed was the fire in my belly ignited by Napoleon Hill’s philosophy, the ideal chiseled in by Prof. B.S. Raman, my Idol… and, more than anything else, my youthful energy and zest…

I had decided to go knocking the doors in Anushakti Nagar… Some doors slammed and many doors opened… One thing got connected to another… then to another… then to yet another… Every one of them sprang up as a mysterious godsend… Everything fell exactly at the right place, at the right time… and seemed to complete the complex puzzle of my Life…

When my stint as a temporary lecturer in the Junior College in this beautiful colony was coming to an end, I was constantly thinking  - “Where would I go from here?”… “How would I continue my journey?”

Just then, came to my rescue a parent of one of my earliest students. In my entire lifespan of 63 years, I haven’t come across a person as ‘mysterious’ as this one!

This gentleman lived in one of the two-bed-room staff quarters in this colony with his wife and two sons (My student was the second son). I said ‘mysterious’ for these reasons: The gentleman said, “Mr. Gerry, you can run your classes from my hall room.” It was a very large hall room where there was nothing – absolutely blank! The two bedrooms, too, had absolutely nothing… maybe a chair or two mattresses to sleep on… The young kids had only two sets of clothes to wear… Many times, they would be in their rooms, towels tied around their waists… Kitchen had the bare-essentials… and his wife – I called her aunty – such an affectionate soul too, was dressed in utter simplicity…

The gentleman was very popular and respected among his colleagues… Every evening, he went to a local joint to consume his daily quota of desi… and, yes, seemed, as I said, a ‘mystery’ to me!

“Mr. Gerry, it’s illegal to ‘let out’ anyone a staff quarters. So, I am not ‘letting’ it out to you… You are my son… I admire your spirit, dedication and passion… I willingly and joyfully allow you to operate from my hall room for one entire academic year free of any return,  monetary of otherwise… I will take the total responsibility… I will deal with the authorities…  Rest assured, nobody is going to chuck you out from here… But, remember: You need to find another place when the year ends!”

It was a glorious one year! I used the massive hall-room as my classroom… Two large tables, fifteen chairs one blackboard – it looked like a poor man’s corporate conference-room… Every batch was packed… I worked morning to night… The promise was kept… Not a single complaint about inconvenience, not a single officials coming to check or chuck… The year passed just like a dream!

I was on my toes, all over again, asking – “Where next?”… “How would I continue?”

Again, the benevolent Universe conspired in my favour… New set of people sprang up on the scene… and, the journey continued…

The gentlemen – the ‘Good Samaritan’ in my life – was not willing to accept any ‘return’ – either monetary or non-monetary – either for himself or his wife or sons. I quietly tried to convince his young sons… “No way, Sir… Dad will never allow it.” Finally, without seeking her permission, I bought a simple saree paying Rs. 300, so that I could have a lighter heart by offering it to aunty… Oh God! How aunty humbled me to take it back – yes, I will never forget it…

I got everything from this family… But, I could give nothing in return… “You have already given us enough!” – This was how all of them made me find my peace!

The new set of people, who came to support me, were from a rich business-community… My association with them lasted for next three years… They provided a dreamlike set-up for me and my associate teachers… Our supporters had enough wealth and sought nothing from this venture… All that they expected me and my associate  teachers to do there was to reach out through education…

The furniture, which was my only investment, was used for the newly- devised ‘Reading Room’… But, at the end of three years, when I had to take a crucial decision to part ways with them – I, once again, did it by burning the bridges behind me… I did not go back to claim my furniture or whatever little sum which was rightfully due to me… I just moved on… and, yes, the kind Universe did not let me down…

 




Why am I remembering this story and this success principle, today?

One of my dear friends, who had been doing quite well in Corporate world, of late, has started sharing amazing spiritual insights. He shared this one, yesterday:

“A visitor to a Sufi saint’s home was surprised to see it was completely bare.

The only contents were a mat and a kerosene lamp.

The visitor asked the saint, “Where is your furniture, Sir?”

The Sufi replied, “Where is yours?”

The visitor responded, “Mine? But, I am only a visitor?”

Said the Sufi, “So am I.”


“Where is your Furniture, Sir?” I had wondered when my Good Samaritan had come to my rescue, some four decades ago…

“Where is your Furniture?” – I hear Universe asking me, now!





We all are only ‘visitors’ here, Sir.

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pics.:  pixabay

Video: Dare to do Motivation

Comments

Umang Pahwa said…
I’m sure the help from the ‘mysterious’ man somewhere contributed to your continued service and help to the younger generation. Thanks on behalf of all your students for continuing to inspire us through the decades

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...