A FLOWER DOESN'T ANNOUNCE ITS ARRIVAL

 



“A flower does not use words to announce its arrival

to the world; it just blooms.”

Matshona Dhilwayo

 

Someone said to me, today: “You are a very humble person.”

I felt very good… very proud!

Then, a thought crossed through my mind: “Why am I feeling so proud on being called ‘a humble person’? Is my humility a concealed pride?”

Honestly, I do not know what ‘a humble person’ means. Yes, I try to present myself, often, as an unassuming person -  one who has less airs about himself… I try to downplay my achievements… Do not like to do a lot of self-promotion…

But, despite all these ‘noble’ things, I seriously think, that true humility is a distant goalpost for me. I love the ideal of humility; but, when I try to get there, something comes on my way… and pride takes over!

Think about it: Every human being on this planet is able to only ‘duplicate’ – copy – what Nature has already created. Man cannot ‘create’ anything original… Be it art, literature, music, architecture, photography, motion pictures – whatever. At best, he can only be a ‘master duplicator’, not a ‘master creator’… Never!

So much for our talents and skills… So much for our pride!






So, this person, today, after beholding something I had just ‘created’, exclaimed it as a ‘masterpiece’. Then, he ‘crowned’ me as a ‘very humble person’!

Deadly intoxication!

The more I accept the tag, that I am a very humble person, the more I  feel the need to shed my pride over it. Humility should not be a concealed pride, Sir… Only Man likes to pride over his arrival to the world… A flower doesn’t… It just blooms!   

I, being Man, find it difficult to bloom quietly…

So, I ask: ‘A humble person’… What is that?






GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s: pixabay

 

Video: OWN

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...