KHANA PEENA SAATH HAI

 



“Not all friends know they have lost you.”

Joyce Rachelle

 

So, today is the ‘Friendship Day’. I am not going to greet my best friends – ‘A Happy Friendship Day, dost’. Nor I am going to get  greetings from them. Frankly, like you, I, too, have a very, very few friends who have been there in all weathers – in good times and bad times. As we all know, we do not need to go singing along the village streets – “Yeh dosti, hum kabhi nahi thodenge’…

Kabhi nahi thodenge?




Come on! Life is real, not reel. In real life, Gandhis and Bachchans breakaway… Amitabh Bachchan, Amar Singh and Anil Ambani can never declare to the world: “Khana peena saath hai/Marna jeena saath hai/Saari zindagi”

Come on friend, let’s be real!

I have had plenty of friends through out my 63 years of life. Like you, a few – very, very few – have been around in good weathers and bad weathers, both. If I express by bitterness over many of my friends not being around – and call them ‘fair-weather friends’ – let me honestly tell you this: I am a hypocrite!

No friendship needs to be chiseled on a solid rock. Living is not a lifeless, hard rock… It is a gentle, sensitive and an ever-flowing experience. Those friends of ours, who stay with us in all weathers, are meant to be so – our all-weather friends. The rest we cannot call  ‘our fair-weather friends’. We can call them ‘our friends’…

I do not like to mystify or glorify friendship. Yes, the thought of having friends in life is a very fulfilling and uplifting thought. Like you, I, too, have picked the phone and called some of them in the middle of the night, and vice versa. But, to keep telling the world, that we shall be together as friends till death do us apart – is something silly… Filmy!

Agreed. Test of friendship lies in our bad times, when our chips are down…

So, I ask: Do I pass that test? Have I been, always, around my friends when their chips were down?

Sir, I am a hypocrite, if I say, “Yes”!





Like everyone else’s, my friendship, too, goes. I am not reading too much into it. When friends are there around, I make the most of that experience. When they are not around, I still cherish the beautiful moments of friendship we have been lucky to have…





To conclude: Life is rich, because of friends who come and go in our lives… Not necessarily, because of friends who come and stay in our lives ‘saari zindagi’

Friendship is that beautiful moment in Life!

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s: 1. www.geo.tv  2. yesofcorsa.com

Videos: 1. YT Creations 2. Google India

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...