BALANCING ON THE PATIENCE ROPE

 




“Our patience will achieve more than our force.”

Edmund Burke

 

I know where – and with whom – I lose my patience the most - One: My loved ones Two: My subordinates.

It should not be so, right?

For example, with our loved ones – such as our spouses, children, parents – we should be more patient as they are the most significant people in our lives. We love and care for them the most; hence, we should show more patience towards them in our interactions… That’s how it should be, logically speaking.

Similarly, with our subordinates – employees, domestic servants, security, house-keeping staff, students, patients etc. – we should be more patient as they need our support, care and protection… It seems logical, too.

But, ironically, with these very people, we show our irritation easily… We do not hide it – we show it instantly!

So, every time I lose my patience and show my irritation – and speak with my temper - I know why I am doing it: because, they are the ‘soft targets’ to let my steam out. I can afford to do it, because, deep down, I know, that they will stick to me… I can get away with it. So, I take them for granted.

Can I do the same with strangers, superiors and people in position and power?

I know the consequences of showing impatience with my superiors and people who are in position and power. I am patient before tax authorities and cops; I am patient before my doctors, child’s school and college Principals, spiritual teachers etc. So, I learn to regulate my steam, measure my words and manage my smile and grace when I deal with them.

But, somewhere my bottled irritation has to find an outlet… And there it does: with my poor loved ones and subordinates!






Often, when I hear some praising me for my patience and grace in my interactions, I smile inside my heart: “If alone they had witnessed my interactions with my loved ones and subordinates!” Yes, I even tell it to them…

Appearances can be very deceptive, Sir…

Elephant has two sets of teeth – one, for eating, the other, for showing… Ek khane keliye; ek dikhane keliye ji!

Man is no exception… I am no exception. I know, in Life, what a priceless virtue Patience is. But, then, I also know, that it’s very, very difficult to rid-off the impatience from my Life completely…

I live; therefore, I am!

Am I justifying my behaviour, here? Am I trying to tell you – “I am like this only”?

No Sir. All that I am trying to tell you is this: I lose my patience and become irritated in my daily interactions. I am aware, that, invariably, my own loved ones and subordinates are at its receiving end. And, just as that, I, too, find myself at the receiving end of the impatience of my loved ones and superiors…

Doesn’t happen to you?

Then, you are truly the blessed one, even though it doesn’t feature in Jesus’ famous Beatitudes!

Blessed are those who show impatience and are aware of it. For, they truly  belong to this world!


 


GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s: pixabay

Video: America's Got Talent

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...